Overclocked a msi r9 290x lightning with no core voltage increase?!

Rampagingram

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Hello, I recently overclocked my 290x lightning and was curious what you made of this:

I raised the power limit +50
I changed the core clock to 1175!
I changed the memory clock to 1350
and i left the fan control on auto

The overclock is stable in Furmark, I never witness any artifacts and temps stayed around or under 76c during the benchmark. I got 5850 Furmark score in 1080p and again I didn't increase the core voltage at all. Does this sound normal? Should I try to overclock it even more? I have stopped overclocking it further pending more tests for tonight. I wanted to hear what you guys thought about not increasing the core voltage.

Solution
I would recommend trying to run tests without the Overvoltage. You shouldn't raise the voltage unless you have to. Raising the voltage can help with stability at higher Clock rates, but it also generates more heat, so less OV = less risks of overheating. It's very possible that 25mV of increase will run just as stable as 50mV, and it is possible that the card's limit isn't linked to voltage and increasing it won't change anything.

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015
I would recommend trying to run tests without the Overvoltage. You shouldn't raise the voltage unless you have to. Raising the voltage can help with stability at higher Clock rates, but it also generates more heat, so less OV = less risks of overheating. It's very possible that 25mV of increase will run just as stable as 50mV, and it is possible that the card's limit isn't linked to voltage and increasing it won't change anything.

Solution