Question Overclocked CPU but now getting a booting device error

Mar 27, 2020
so I just bought an additional ssd and a new ram kit to go into my existing pc. I installed them and set them up and everything worked, but my mild cpu overclock got reset so after i was sure it had all been set up ok i went back and redid the overclock on the cpu (+500mhz on the base clock - no changes to any other settings on my ryzen 1600). The system didn't boot back up so i went and cleared the cmos and tried again. now when i press the power button it lights up and my display turns on automatically from standby, only to say "no signal" by the time it fully turns on, and immediately turns off again where it sits with the mouse and keyboard lit up indefinitely until i turn it off by pressing the power button, where it does the same blip of waking my display from standby as it turns off. when i press the power button initially the cpu and ram debug light come on very briefly and then turn off very quickly, after which the gpu light comes on for a few seconds, which then turns off and the "boot" light comes on and stays on for as long as the pc is on for. I've tried reseating the gpu different sticks and combo's of ram, clearing the cmos multiple times and plugging in various different boot drives into different inputs but none of these change anything. any insight and help would be greatly appreciated, as obviously i can't take it to a repair store right now as the whole country is on lockdown.

rig:
ryzen 1600
corsair vengeance ram
gtx1060 6gb
msi b350 tomahawk motherboard
500gb samsung 850 evo ssd (boot drive)
500gb WD blue nvme drive(new and empty but initialised)

D

Deleted member 14196

Psu make and model?

Remove all the ram except for the new kit and just install the new kit in case you were mixing ram

D

Deleted member 14196

Does your motherboard have any LED indicators of what’s going on at boot? You can usually figure out what’s happening from those

Auto voltages when overclocking, can be very harmful to your system, as these voltages are usually uneccessarily high, and by quite a bit at times

Auto Load Line Calibration is also a problem over time, if the auto settings set a high LLC setting, which they often do.

It is generally not recommended to overclock using mostly auto settings, especially not for voltage

Last edited: