Overclocked CPU, kept getting bluescreens, Restarted to defaults and they still appear.

Nov 7, 2018
(I'm 16yo noob, sorry)

Hey, so I might have done something wrong when overclocking. It was my second CPU overclock attempt, the first one went well (later on I changed CPU for an upgrade). Currently, I have FX-8350 (with original fan) and I use it for I think not longer than a year. I tried to overclock it just like the AMD Athlon II X4 640 I had before, but I saw an auto overclock option in the BIOS and clicked it because I thought it will make things easier. As far as I know, if you don't change the voltage, you are cool with the temperature (probably a noob thing I know and believe), and the auto overclock thingy changed it, I think... The fan was louder than usual and I tried to run some games to check if its stable, the temp was not higher than 75c and got a BSOD at some point. That happened in my first overclock ever as well, so I decided to reset to defaults and made a manual overclock (That worked for me with the Athlon). I set it to 4.2ghz (default voltage, from now on, the temp was stable below 60) and BSOD appeared after some time of using. I went down to 4.1 and it happened again. Now I sit with default settings stock 4.0ghz CPU, and the PC keeps throwing me bluescreens every 2-4 hours (every BSOD says different things https://imgur.com/a/Z0oGX20. Sometimes the PC reboots itself, sometimes I need to hold the power button). How bad did I do? Did I just break my CPU? Send help.

Windows 7
Motherboard - M5A97 PLUS
Cpu - FX-8350
Is there any more info needed? Please tell me what I'm missing and maybe tell where do I get the information from.

Edit: CMOS restart worked. The cpu got automatically overclocked somehow after the restart, but windows doesn't crash anymore!

Solution
Nov 7, 2018

I am really not sure what it means. Do you mean some kind of button on the motherboard? I didn't look inside the pc at all. Could you please describe me how to do that / link me to some tutorial? Thanks

Nov 7, 2018

At this point, I just want to reset to the state before even trying to overclock. The PC keeps BSODing every 3h no matter what

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Solution
Nov 7, 2018

I did everything you said believing I know the answer. Just after the whole taking out my GPU to restart the CMOS thing (I waited 15 minutes with the battery out) and completing the pc back, the BIOS says I run my CPU at ~4350Mhz. I turned my PC off with stock ratio! Why did it change to 4.3 suddenly? I didn't get any bsod still (they were popping hours after the boot), I will continue the thread tomorrow (middle europe) just to update if I get any critical errors still. Thanks for the help, very appreciated although it might not be fixed yet.

Edit: No bluescreens all day. I think I can call it a victory. Thanks, shmoochie!