Question Overclocked GPU causing crash cycle

Feb 27, 2022
Hi all, noob builder here.

I recently built my first PC. Runs great under normal browsing, low load. However, I tried running a game today (Apex Legends) and was able to play for <10 minutes before my PC crashed. At that point, it would crash, reboot, crash, reboot, etc. until I just manually shut it down. My temps seemed fine, around 60-70C.

My GPU was very loud - not just fans, but also a really loud humming that would get really loud and then quiet down, and repeat. Seemed unusual. Doesn’t sound like coil whine (I think?). My guess is that it’s because my GPU is overclocked. I managed to snag an RTX 3060, but it’s the MSI Ventura 3x OC Edition. Like I said, I’m a noob and this is my first build, but I’m assuming that something about it being overclocked is causing issues, since this only happened after the GPU was being used enough for its fans to run.

I’m not really sure what to do - I can’t tell if the sound the GPU was making was unusual (and therefore I should RMA), or if it being overclocked doesn’t sit well with the rest of my system (maybe my CPU/PSU isn’t powerful enough? idk). Any help would be much appreciated.

(please be gentle, I just got done troubleshooting previous issues and I’m at my wits end lol)

Parts:
  • Asus ROG STRIX b450-f gaming ii
  • Ryzen 5 3600 (with stock cooler)
  • MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3060 OC Edition
  • EVGA 650W 80+ bronze
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz
  • Western Digital WD Blue SN550 1TB

Last edited: