Question Overclocked gpu getting lower 3Dmark scores right after I play a game.

Jan 24, 2020
Alright so I have a zotac 2080 amp extreme and I Overclocked it. It is stable and everything. And if I start up and run 3Dmark I get 12400, 79fps on the first test 73fps on the second. But right when I load a game and play it and do the 3Dmark after I get a lower score and 76fps on the first test and 73fps on the second I legit have no idea what is going on here but after I get the lower score all I have to do is restart the pc and it’s back to normal

zx128k

Reputable
Is the card water cooled? Temperature affects these cards boost a lot, a cold run will boost higher than a run when it is hot. Also a Zotac 2080 amp extreme will normally just bench at 12400 graphics points but won't be stable in RTX games like control. Great changes in performance can be a sign of the card being unstable. Also you can get issues were the fans start dropping from 3300 RPM to 2800RPM (fan 1 gpu-z) because the overclock is too high. Driver settings also affect the points you get and the CPU can affect it too if it has warmed up and will no longer boost as high.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020
Apply a more aggressive fan curve.
The GPU will downclock when its hot especially if you bench after gaming.

I get 16056 in Time Spy game stable, 16400 game unstable with my 2080 Ti 😛
Is the card water cooled? Temperature affects these cards boost a lot, a cold run will boost higher than a run when it is hot. Also a Zotac 2080 amp extreme will normally just bench at 12400 graphics points but won't be stable in RTX games like control. Great changes in performance can be a sign of the card being unstable. Also you can get issues were the fans start dropping from 3300 RPM to 2800RPM (fan 1 gpu-z) because the overclock is too high. Driver settings also affect the points you get and the CPU can affect it too if it has warmed up and will no longer boost as high.
No it’s not water cooled but my temp on my card doesn’t go above 63c and I’ve passed every 3D mark stress test they have. And I don’t see any throttling because my gpu clock and memory clock stays damn near maxed when I’m running a game

Jan 24, 2020
He would need to be 100% fan speed for 12400. Example https://www.3dmark.com/spy/9590855
It's getting the RTX and Tensor part stable. Memory is a real pain. Different games use more or less memory in different ways, so different frequencies are stable.
I’m just losing my mind with how I can run 3D mark so many times like I can do a stress test I hours and hours and it stays the same but right when I load any game off of any platform I get lower scores

Jan 24, 2020
My 2080 Ti start dropping from 2130Mhz to 2085Mhz after 40C. Its the way boost works, it starts dropping clocks after 40C.
I get that cuz I start off at 2100 then drop to 2070 to 2055 and stay around there. I just don’t get the whole right when I load a game it drops frames but everything stays the same and all I have to do is restart my pc for it to be back to normal

zx128k

Reputable
No it’s not water cooled but my temp on my card doesn’t go above 63c and I’ve passed every 3D mark stress test they have. And I don’t see any throttling because my gpu clock and memory clock stays damn near maxed when I’m running a game

I get the same temps as you do but the card can be stable in 3d mark but not stable in other games. The card should not throttle but boost will be reduced with temperature. If you don't have the fans at 100% and let the cards GPU temp drop to its lowest value before running 3d mark you will get lower scores. The fans normally stay off at idle which leads to higher temps when you run the benchmark and lower clocks speeds over the course of the benchmark.

Also a bad overclock will corrupt the graphic card drivers.

Jan 24, 2020
I get the same temps as you do but the card can be stable in 3d mark but not stable in other games. The card should not throttle but boost will be reduced with temperature. If you don't have the fans at 100% and let the cards GPU temp drop to its lowest value before running 3d mark you will get lower scores. The fans normally stay off at idle which leads to higher temps when you run the benchmark and lower clocks speeds over the course of the benchmark.

Also a bad overclock will corrupt the graphic card drivers.
Alright I will run the fans at 100 and see, now for the chance I had a bad overclock. Is there a way to fix the corrupt drivers. I’ve already uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them before

zx128k

Reputable
Alright I will run the fans at 100 and see, now for the chance I had a bad overclock. Is there a way to fix the corrupt drivers. I’ve already uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them before

If the drivers become corrupt, remove them with display driver uninstaller and download new drivers. Then do a fresh clean install. With corrupt drivers you get issues like games that were stable at x gpu core frequency now crash. The card's fan 1 starts to have periodic drops in rpm even when set to 100%.

TRENDING THREADS