[SOLVED] overclocked gpu temperature (geforce gt 730)

anaxgorous1

Reputable
Jul 27, 2019
so i'm new in overclocking and i used msi afterburner and kombuster and ran the stress test until i got the stable overclock thing, and i noticed my temperature went over 90 degree celcius. And while i play games it only about 70-80, rarely over 80. Are these temperatures normal?

Solution
Direct answer, i would not like to play with those temperatures for long time, because says there is something wrong in the computer. As others said thermal paste could need to be replaced. And for me could be the whole computer is overheating, because lacks good airflow with for instance without a exaust fan on the back. Overheating is not a problem in default settings because parts like GPU normally lower to safe temps automaticaly but the costs of that is performance. So in higher temperatures losing performance is guarantee in default settings of course. Not talking about overclocking settings. But settings related directly to...

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
What kind of games are you playing? When were they released. That card your using is super old, which could be why its overheating in msi kombuster. Maybe try to clean the heatsink of the card and replace the thermal paste

Jul 31, 2019
Direct answer, i would not like to play with those temperatures for long time, because says there is something wrong in the computer. As others said thermal paste could need to be replaced. And for me could be the whole computer is overheating, because lacks good airflow with for instance without a exaust fan on the back. Overheating is not a problem in default settings because parts like GPU normally lower to safe temps automaticaly but the costs of that is performance. So in higher temperatures losing performance is guarantee in default settings of course. Not talking about overclocking settings. But settings related directly to temperature that some GPU, and if not well used could damage the GPU in some way.

Warning. Long answer, i played on that card gt 730 for many months in the last two years. From what i remember the card overclocks very good, like fifteen percent more both on core and vram speed and stable. It is a MSI V3 version with DDR3 and more importantly with a active heatsink fan over the GPU chip and not a passive silent heatsink version without a fan over it.
Temperatures depend also on the temps inside the computer, like if you have a exaust fan on the back of the computer that lows the temperature of the computer beside the fan on the gpu and cpu of course.
On MSI Afterburner you have a option called Fan Speed and normally its on Auto mode, that refrain itself because of noise that fans make on higher speeds. You need to click on Auto to disable and then in the highlighted bar move to a higher speed like one hundred if you like, to see what happens in temperatures.
There is also a thing, GPUs temperatures never go over 90 degrees more or less, but lower their speeds to safe temps to keep the graphic card from damaging itself. Normally does that by automaticaly lower the GPU core speed so a overclock gain would be not happen and instead could even go to lower speeds.

Last edited:
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To you it's brand new, 2 months old. But nvidia stopped production on that card years ago when retooling for Maxwell gpus and later Pascal. 99% of what you'll find is NIB (new in box) that's been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse. Could be for years.

Replacing paste is a possibility. More likely it's a byproduct of a $20 gpu ability vrs games that want $100 or better performance.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Even over clocking it wouldn't help much in modern games.

I've had that gpu and I know how bad it is to have something like that.

Although it's a lot better than the Intel integrated graphics, but not really meant for gaming.

768p gaming, may be.

700 series cards run relatively hot, specially when OC'd but if you have a passively cooled version, that's expected.

Those temps while gaming aren't too bad, those cards always got pretty warm. It's probably not the worst idea ever to redo the thermal paste, although buying thermal paste would be like 15% of the cards value so it might be better to save your money and eventually upgrade the gpu instead.

Increasing fan speeds, adding more/better fans could also help you, cable management maybe as well?