Sep 14, 2020
Specs:
GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (Watercooled)
CPU: AMD FX8350 (Watercooled)
MOBO: ASUS m5a97 r2.0
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 PNY (32GB total) (4 sticks)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 750W 80 Plus Bronze
SSD: Kingston 240 GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB

Sometime in July, I recently watercooled my Nvidia Founders Edition GTX 1070 with NZXT’s Kraken G12 water cooling Mounting kit, and I decided to do some overclocks with MSI Afterburner. I started overclocking the voltage, going little by little, and stress tested it with Unigen Heaven, and eventually i got to the max limit that msi afterburner offers with voltage overclocks. For all the other ones i stress tested them for 15 minutes each with no problem, and i got to max limit and once i started stressing it with Unigen Heaven, a few second after a lot of artifacts appeared on the screen and my screen just went black. It is now september and my screen is still black. I bought a cheap used gtx 480 off of eBay 3 weeks ago to actually see my pc because I didn’t have a spare gpu and I don’t have onboard graphics. Basically i didn’t have access to my actual pc until last week. I have concluded it is my gpu because i have tried everything else Ive searched up. Ive flashed my bios, taken out cmos battery, cleaned ram and switched their slots, and reseatted the gpu into the 2nd pci-e slot. I even switched cables for my monitor, switched hdmi and DisplayPort cables, and plugged in my xbox to the hdmi port that i had it plugged into when it happened and concluded it was not my monitor or cables. When i got the spare gpu, i had the GTX 1070 plugged in at the same time as the spare gpu, and I could get into my pc. I checked device manager to see that it detected my gpu, but it said it had driver issues. Every time i installed the latest drivers for the GTX 1070, and even some of the older drivers from the Nvidia official website, it would install, and when I i would go to restart my pc to finish the driver installation, it would reset my drivers for the GTX 480 and the screen would be a terrible resolution, and my GTX 1070 still would not work. Nvidia control panel did not recognize my GTX 1070, neither did any of my other apps such as msi afterburner except gpu z. Gpu z would show the card had 0 Mhz For the gpu clock and memory. I reset and cleaned installed windows, and i even tried flashing the vbios on the card, which did fix the 0 mhz problem, but i still cannot install the latest drivers or see my screen from the GTX 1070. Any help please? I hope someone can help me fix this, but if not I thank you guys for trying, but at least i can use my pc for daily use and light gaming since i bought the used GTX 480. I was planning to build a new pc with the ryzen 4000 series cpus and the Rtx 3000 series gpu Either way, but i would love to fix my gpu to use it and give my old pc to my dad.

Thank you, Sean.

Solution
i got to the max limit that msi afterburner offers with voltage overclocks. For all the other ones - what are "the other ones "?

A gtx480 would use different (older) drivers to a gtx 1070. I have a feeling you've cooked your gtx1070.
Just use the gtx480 and let nVidia detect the GPU and give you the direct drivers.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
i got to the max limit that msi afterburner offers with voltage overclocks. For all the other ones - what are "the other ones "?

A gtx480 would use different (older) drivers to a gtx 1070. I have a feeling you've cooked your gtx1070.
Just use the gtx480 and let nVidia detect the GPU and give you the direct drivers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS