Overclocked GTX 980 and now get lower fps

ExileFrontier

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
So I wanted to get some better fps on GTA V and had a GTX 980 I had yet to overclock. So I opened GPU tweak and GTA V and slowly began to crank up the GPU Boost clock and the Memory clock. Now everything was going fine, I usually get ~60 FPS on GTA V, so I changed MSAA from 4X to 8X and that is when I started changing things. After a couple adjustments I got 10 frames more than usual with 8X. So on the final adjustment, GTA V crashed so I could still hear the in game sound but the visual was a black screen. I closed GTA V and restarted it and changed back to 4X and put the GPU clock to default. And got around 25 frames when I got in, and this was just in the house where I usually get a solid 60. I checked the files on the game, it replaced 1 but still did the same thing. So I opened BF4 and even though I had over 30 it still halved what I usually get. I would really appreciate some help and hopefully I haven't screwed myself. Specs are i5-6600k, GTX 980, EVGA 750W PSU, and windows 10.

Solution
Good Afternoon Exile.

It is recommended to not push the capabilities of your system, as from what you found out for yourself, they don't like being pushed past the maximum. From my personal experience with customers, there is always someone who asks for a refund after doing this, and unfortunately to say we never comply. To simplify things, you will have to replace you GPU.

On the bright side - We learn from our mistakes.

Jonathan Martinez - IT Technician for 8 years

JonathanMartinez

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Good Afternoon Exile.

It is recommended to not push the capabilities of your system, as from what you found out for yourself, they don't like being pushed past the maximum. From my personal experience with customers, there is always someone who asks for a refund after doing this, and unfortunately to say we never comply. To simplify things, you will have to replace you GPU.

On the bright side - We learn from our mistakes.

Jonathan Martinez - IT Technician for 8 years

Solution

Stewert Miller

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hello ExileFrontier i am gtx 980 back to the manufacture because it seems the issue was you might have over loaded the card on power and short circuited the car. I am sorry to inform you that you will have to send the card back to the manufacture and have then either fix the problem or give you a new car completely. Hope you still have the warranty still to exchange or you might have to buy a new card best of luck to you hope they r able to replace it for you at no charge

ExileFrontier

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

Thank you very much for replying and helping me with my problem, I'll have to see what I can do.

PCpro_user1

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Damn bro i did the same thing with my 960 i had to wait to get a new one rip hope u get a new one soon i know the feels. But since that broke just get a 1080 they r better than the 980. Anyways best of luck XD