Overclocked HD 4890

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a hand-me-down ASUS EAH4890, and I've had a really rough time overclocking it... Would not overclock in CCC, so I downloaded SmartDoctor and now it OC's to 950 core 1100 memory stable when I push the voltage to 1.4. It's running on a brand new Earthwatts 500 with a 65w CPU in a minimal build, so I'm not too concerned about power.

My case is a Dell Inspiron Minitower, so airflow is very limited. But it's such a pain to overclock/volt and then underclock/volt every time I start and exit a game, BUT my idle temp is showing 60*C with the fans at 52% if I leave it OC'd and overvolted 24/7. (While playing Crysis the GPU doesn't go higher than 85*C - fans at 100%) Am I drastically shortening the life of my PSU and GPU by leaving it overclocked and overvolted?

Solution
1.4V? :O
thats way too much. i dont think any utility allows such high voltages so you better confirm the voltage you apply.

the psu is fine. any load within its rating is completely OK.

and overvolting nd undervolting is also fine for the 4890. this is a good way to save power when idle and get more power when needed. modern cards do this automatically.

excessive overvolting will shorten your cards life drastically. so keep an eye on the voltage.

and 4890 were notorious for being very hot and very loud at loads. so temps look fine.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
1.4V? :O
thats way too much. i dont think any utility allows such high voltages so you better confirm the voltage you apply.

the psu is fine. any load within its rating is completely OK.

and overvolting nd undervolting is also fine for the 4890. this is a good way to save power when idle and get more power when needed. modern cards do this automatically.

excessive overvolting will shorten your cards life drastically. so keep an eye on the voltage.

and 4890 were notorious for being very hot and very loud at loads. so temps look fine.

Solution
Keeps running at 100% fanspeed is not good, yes you can shortened your card's lifespan. 4xxx series tends to run hot, especially HD4890. the current temps now is already a bit high (85'C - fans at 100%). I know that card is capable running higher than that, but consider this is already a HOT card, well I would say stay with default setting... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.