News 'Overclocked' Intel Arc A380 Shows Impressive Gains

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Interesting, will be good to see what headroom there is on the top sku(A770?) with a waterblock, I am looking to retire my aging GTX1080.

As Intel ramps up the PR hopefully this means we are weeks away from a full launch? Ready or not drivers, get these out and at the right price adoption is not going to be a problem.

InvalidError

Titan
I personally find nothing odd about re-BAR performing better practically all of the time: if drivers are optimized around re-BAR, that would eliminate the legacy 256MB window management overhead from the primary code paths and optimizing for re-BAR likely has much higher priority within Intel's driver team.

Also, since Intel has only been doing IGPs for the last 20 years with the IGP having direct access to the memory controller, its drivers developers may have been using re-BAR-like flat memory space for a while already.

Jun 17, 2022
Intel GPU card hits the store this Christmas, it will be above average. The key to success will be commitment to technology improvements in the die shrink to 4 nm node, combined with much cheaper DDR6 memory moving forward on the card, and ability to use unified DD5 system memory when Meteor Lake becomes a reality in mid-2023. Likely the card will be a low cost to mid level cost card in 2024, that completely suppresses the profitability of competitors. The goal will be in 2024 to bring RTX 3080 performance to the PC at a fraction of the cost. Intel is a story about a football team that lost their way, woke up and realized, you have to run the ball, you cannot just throw one Hail Mary Pass after another. Also, the card is going to have high level tile AI over time, more and more tiles working overtime to augment the real world performance of the GPU. Instead of overclocking, promote the idea of the CHIPS Act, make our silicon in Central Ohio, these people want to be paid to work and innovate.

KyaraM

Admirable
Ah, finally an English article to the one I read this morning in German xD

It's not that great.
For $70 more you can just get a well established and reliable 1650. Why settle on a marginally cheaper card that is unproven?
If you are looking in this price rance, $70 is a lot of money. That's, like, 1/3 of the price of a 1650, which is a lot in literally every case.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
For $70 more you can just get a well established and reliable 1650. Why settle on a marginally cheaper card that is unproven?
2GB more VRAM, re-BAR, hardware support for newest CODECs, tensor cores for future AI stuff like XeSS, RT capabilities and I'm sure there are a few more reasons. Sure, the RT-power wont' be great, but it is at least there to try out just for kicks and I'm sure that if RT becomes standard even at the low-end, more casual games will bother implementing it. I'm sure many game developers wish all hardware would support RT as a baseline so they could develop along a single pipeline.

As long as driver support gets up to par, the A380 should become a far more future-proof option.

Also, $70 above a $130 A380 is $200, which is more than the RX6500 typically goes for and is faster than the GTX1650 as long as you make sure not to bust through the 4GB buffer. At that point, may as well throw yet another $70 (35%) on top and get an RX6600 which is roughly twice as fast as the RX6500.

Reactions: rtoaht and KyaraM

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
2GB more VRAM, re-BAR, hardware support for newest CODECs, tensor cores for future AI stuff like XeSS, RT capabilities and I'm sure there are a few more reasons. Sure, the RT-power wont' be great, but it is at least there to try out just for kicks and I'm sure that if RT becomes standard even at the low-end, more casual games will bother implementing it. I'm sure many game developers wish all hardware would support RT as a baseline so they could develop along a single pipeline.

As long as driver support gets up to par, the A380 should become a far more future-proof option.

Also, $70 above a $130 A380 is $200, which is more than the RX6500 typically goes for and is faster than the GTX1650 as long as you make sure not to bust through the 4GB buffer. At that point, may as well throw yet another $70 (35%) on top and get an RX6600 which is roughly twice as fast as the RX6500.

All depends on your goals I guess. If you want as cheap as possible it makes sense. If you want at least so!e amount of future proofing, the 6500 might be worth leaving budget territory

cyrusfox

Distinguished
All depends on your goals I guess. If you want as cheap as possible it makes sense. If you want at least so!e amount of future proofing, the 6500 might be worth leaving budget territory
If your willing to step up price brackets the A580 should be there for double the performance and looking like a price of $200-250

I'm personally looking forward to the A310(media PC) and the A770 for a potentially GTX1080 sidegrade? Really interested on how it performs, only game I play much, if at all is SC2 though and Intel graphics has done alright there, even integrated.

Reactions: KyaraM

rtoaht

Reputable
Jun 5, 2020
It's not that great.

$70 more is actually 54% more. That's a substantial increase in price. Also a few years later that 54% more expensive card will be a paper weight without AV1 encode/decode support. But this cheap $130 dollar card can be still be used as a plex server since AV1 would be more prevalent by then. Also you will likely be able to download "free FPS" when newer drivers are available. It already beats more expensive cards in newer DX12 games. It will likely beat these more expensive cards in all games in a year or 2. So overall it is a much better value for experienced buyers.

Reactions: KyaraM

InvalidError

Titan
Although the RX6500 may have the edge on raw raster performance, is missing way too many other features to be considered remotely future-proof. Being stuck on 4.0x4 is likely going to hurt as more games struggle to squeeze within 4GB. For me, only two video outputs is an absolute deal breaker since I'm always using at least two monitors with an occasional third and even fourth.

Reactions: KyaraM and rtoaht