Question Overclocked now system wont boot and mobo appears dead

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
So i overclocked a little bit my cpu ram and gpu and upped the voltage a little to respective component aswell as I learned you should when overclocking. I pressed save and exit it tried to boot up several times i suppose(everything lit up and fans started rundning) but it was black screen constantly since i pressed save and exit from bios. Each attempt resulting in shutdown and then it tried to boot again and so on until i flipped the switch, read up on it and decided to reinstall the cmos battery. I took it out waited about 20 seconds and installed it again. After that the mobo seems completely dead no fans going either case or cpu fans, the only component giving of lifesigns is the gpu. What should i do? Is it game over perhaps i accidentally shorted the system didnt make sure I was grounded although i didnt touch the mobo only the cmos battery. I dont know. Help please, thanks if you've read this far:)

Specs:
Gigabyte z97x-gaming 3
I5 4590
Asus gtx 970 strix 4gb oc
Ballistix 2x8gb 1600mhz ram
Corsair hx850 psu
That about covers the relevant parts i think, thanks again if you have any thoughts!

Last edited:
Well at first the fix for your problem was to reset the bios and as you did you removed the cmos battery. To reset the bios settings you have to remove the battery for at least 5-10 mins and not just 20sec. Are you sure you placed the battery correctly? Maybe try remove it again and this time wait at least 10 mins (and unplug the power cable from the psu). Also try to close the power from the psu from behind and press the power on button for some seconds.

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Well at first the fix for your problem was to reset the bios and as you did you removed the cmos battery. To reset the bios settings you have to remove the battery for at least 5-10 mins and not just 20sec. Are you sure you placed the battery correctly? Maybe try remove it again and this time wait at least 10 mins (and unplug the power cable from the psu). Also try to close the power from the psu from behind and press the power on button for some seconds.
Okay but still even if I should have waited 15 mins does that mean it should react like this completely dead if I only waited 20sec like in this case. Seems to me that it should still have booted and given some lifesigns like before the removal of the battery?

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Okay so an update if there would happen to be someone with the same problem finding this thread, I changed the battery entirely to a new one which somehow made the board give lifesigns and all the fans are rundning, the only still remaining apparent problem is that its still black screen so perhaps the gpu somehow went faulty by all the oc

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
How much exactly is upping the voltage a little?

From what I understand, blackscreen and only fans running is a sign of damaged capacitors on motherboard.

Black screen is normal when BIOS settings don't work but that is fixable by taking out battery for 30-60 secs or shorting 2 pins for 15 secs if mobo has that option.
If that doesn't fix your problem, more than likely you killed something. Does your mobo have Debug LEDs?

Klockclock

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
How much exactly is upping the voltage a little?

From what I understand, blackscreen and only fans running is a sign of damaged capacitors on motherboard.

Black screen is normal when BIOS settings don't work but that is fixable by taking out battery for 30-60 secs or shorting 2 pins for 15 secs if mobo has that option.
If that doesn't fix your problem, more than likely you killed something. Does your mobo have Debug LEDs?
Update, works now what solved it was that i completely changed the battery to a new one which for some reason fixed it, like I shorted the battery or perhaps just broke it during the reinstallation or something. Damaged capacitors, ill look into that thanks and hope the mobo is alright.