Question Overclocked Settings for Everyday

Mar 26, 2019
I currently have a Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked at 3800MHz at 75 degrees, passed 8 hour prime95 stress test. Is it OK to use this setting and keep my computer on all day?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see why not, but the damaging part of overclocking is the extra voltage. Every integrated circuit will eventually break down, running more voltage through it hastens this process. But if you like to replace your CPU every few years, it really doesn't matter.

Mar 26, 2019
I don't see why not, but the damaging part of overclocking is the extra voltage. Every integrated circuit will eventually break down, running more voltage through it hastens this process. But if you like to replace your CPU every few years, it really doesn't matter.
Gotcha thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What are settings for overclocking i3 8350K in Gigabyte Z370 D3H?

Ideally you should start your own thread.

There are no specific settings for overclocking. Every CPU is a little different.

The very basics are increasing the boost multiplier and increasing CPU core voltage either with an offset or setting a fixed voltage. Additionally, as you go further you will need to increase the input voltage to the CPU. And for stability Load Line Calibration may be needed to prevent voltage drop under load. It is recommended to use a fixed voltage while you are figuring out the chip's limits.

For more details, simply look up Coffee Lake overclocking guide.

Apr 23, 2019
I currently have a Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked at 3800MHz at 75 degrees, passed 8 hour prime95 stress test. Is it OK to use this setting and keep my computer on all day?
best would be if you use that setting if you really need it because it will be good if you keep your gpu calm sometime. such hack will work out longer then your doing.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpus lifespan is well in excess of 20 years. For most ppl who tend to keep a pc longer than the 'gotta have latest and greatest' freaks, will undoubtably run into the Real judge of a cpu's lifespan, Software. A perfect example is my (yes it still works!) Intel Pentium II 350MHz (OC to 400MHz) that's 20 years old. Runs Windows 98SE with 1Gb of ram and a 16Mb 3dfx Voodoo gpu (AGP slot). It can't run XP or better OS. It can't run Minecraft. It can't be upgraded. Software demands on clock speeds, ipc, ram have made my old pc as obsolete as the hand cranked old jalopy.

3800MHz across all cores, under safe limit voltages and temps won't even put a dent in the software lifespan. Your pc will be as obsolete as my old PII long before it dies from electromigration. 4.2GHz at 1.4v+ and constant 90°C+ temps would be a totally different story.

Last edited: