dayspring1978

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I recently ordered a barebone system. Asus M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition overclocked to a 3.2 GHz. I have one 80 mm exhaust fan and the CPU fan is a Thermaltake TR2-R1. Using Asus Probe II, when I'm idle, surfing the web, or instant messaging I see temperatures in the range of 34-37 C. Under a load recently playing Counter-Strike 1.6 temperature went to 49 C and I have seen it go as high as 51 C. I just want to make sure these temperatures are ok. Also, I have an additional 80 mm fan slot in the back, and I can put one on the side of my case in a vent. Would these lower my temperatures? One more thought, I used the thermal paste that was already applied on the heatsink of the CPU fan and I've wondered if I should take the old paste off and clean everything up and apply some Artic Silver 5? Thanks for all your help guys.

One more thought, I'm adding a GeForce 9800 GTX Black Edition and I don't want the heat from it to cause my other temps to go up. So any thoughts, suggestions, and ideas are truly welcome!

dayspring1978

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I went back to stock settings. No execution halted, but temps about the same. Going to try Artic Silver 5 first and see if my temps lower. Any other ideas?

dayspring1978

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Okay, got the Artic Silver 5 applied. I'm still at stock CPU speed which is 2.6 GHz. At idle, my Core #0 is 7 C and Core #1 is 13 C. Something tells me I'm reading this wrong because that sounds extremely low. Under load using Orthos Core #0 is 35 C and Core #1 is 38 C. When looking at the temps with Asus probe it goes to 55 C. I've heard that people get inaccurate readings with Asus Probe, but I don't understand these readings. Can someone kindly explain? Also, I've been running Orthos for about 5 minutes and i see readings now at core #0 42 C and core #1 42 C. Thanks for all your help guys!