Overclocked too much

bishop113

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Hi, I need to know how I can reset my CPU's config without the computer being on, I was trying to overclock and I went to 1.4v, saved and exited and now it won't go past the initial mobo boot screen, I heard there's a fail safe button on the mobo but I haven't an idea where it is. Anyone help?

has22fas

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Well there's a thing called CMOS you can clear it usaully look for 2 metal small pins on ure board and in little writing it should say Clr_CMOS or something like that now put a screwdriver on the pins for 5 seconds take it off and everything has reset. Another type is the jumper. Where there is a plastic cap on the pins you move the cap to where it says CLR cmos and put it on there for 5 seconds then put it back to it's original place when thats done.

bishop113

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Any idea where they'd be on an ASUS P5NE? And does anyone care to tell me what a safe voltage/core clock would be for a Q6600 2.4ghz with a stock fan, I know I should buy a new fan but frankly I don't have any money right now.

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
That's the P5N-E SLI board? If so, it's between the SATA and front panel header pins. Put the jumper across pins 2-3 for 5 seconds, as already mentioned.

RTFM.

Keep the Q6600 voltage under 1.5 volts and the temperature under 70 C. and you will be OK.

That's one reason I like Gigabyte motherboards. If you overdo the OC setting, it will just reset itself back to a bootable configuration.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

vc_oc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I find sometimes if I just unplug the machine (or flip the switch on the power supply) for a few seconds it will clear my BIOS overclocking settings and let me through. Saves me messing with the jumpers.

bishop113

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Hey guys, I figured it out, I just took the CMOS battery out and that reset it. I'm having one hell of a time trying to get this thing to STAY overclocked though, I had to reset CMOS twice because it just keeps crashing my computer for some reason.

So if you guys will help me further, I'd appreciate it.

So my PC is about 2 years old now, or will be next Dec. so I don't know if that's a problem or not. But regarding temperature, I can't seem to monitor it properly, I downloaded EVEREST free edition, and it 'used' to work but it just keeps telling me my CPU temp is 13 degrees Celsius, which I know has to be wrong. I can measure the voltage correctly and confirm that I'm overclocked but I just keep crashing, it seems like regardless of what voltage and mhz I put it at, it just crashes.

If it's safe to do so I would like to just increase it to 3.0ghz and be done with it, I watched a video that suggested 3 ghz needs 1.4 volts but again it just crashes me.

Any ideas?

bishop113

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
okay I just noticed a HUGE issue, CPU-Z says that my voltage is 2.1!!!!!! What's going on there? I set it to 1.39 something, any idea why it's saying 2.1?

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
WoW 2.1? check you're bios settings again! maybe reset Bios defaults and look if Cpu-z still shows such high numbers.

By the way read a overclocking guide to understand the systematics of overclocking (always raising a bit and then stress testing until unstable..)

bishop113

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah I was sure to read plenty of guides, I managed to fix it, for some reason it was multiplying what I had set the voltage to, I had it set to 1.4 in the bios but it was forcing it to 2.1, I got it stable at 3.0ghz with 1.28 volts or so.

Thanks for the info guys! Now if cryptic would just fix champions online :(

TRENDING THREADS