News Overclocker Der8auer Drops Intel Cryo Cooler Onto AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

Apr 22, 2020
For anyone going "wow, that's amazing" the author's analysis in technically incorrect. It's true that amd cpus have greater throughput due to having more threads. So on a highly parallel app like cinebench where all threads are doing the same thing, a cpu with more threads will get the job done in less time. If it didn't then it wouldn't be worth buying, would it?.
However few apps are highly parallel and few cpus are used to run just one app at a time. So the benchmark of most importance is an Algorithm test. In other words a simulation of real-world processing.
And, believe it or not, the results aren't dependent on thread count pr even IPC or frequency. It's all about cpu architecture. I have seen this myself when a 16c/32t cpu matched a 16c/128t cpu although the 128t cpu had faster single and multi thread load performance.
The 32t thread cpu would be regarded as faster as it uses less resources to get the job done.
So using IPC and Hz etc as done in the gaming world as proof is a slippery slope.
The gaming benchmarks I have seen show Zen3 is top at 1080p but as the resolution increases it's intel that has the edge. Could be wrong.
My bet is that the architecture improvements with 11th gen will see it widen the gap.
But I just laugh at the debates about which cpu is faster. It's which cpu is better for you that's important.
Lastly, do not rely on any benchmark that does not involve the entire pc.

Reactions: JfromNucleon
TEC coolers have been a thing for awhile. They were not popular due to power consumption. As we can see, Intel doesn't care about power consumption, so it makes sense they are bringing it back now.

This really shows desperation. Intel as of now has nothing to compete with AMD, so they just are getting desperate.

Reactions: Phaaze88

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Wonder why EK hasn't made AMD variant of their TEC water cooler.
Because according to the AMD crowd, their CPU's don't need anything more then the bundled Wraith cooler, ignoring that AMD's highend CPU's don't come with a cooler any more. More seriously, Intel co-developed this, so there are probably contract stipulations that at least temporarily prevent AMD support. Also, a $360 cooler is an extremely niche product, I doubt many people are interested in buying this in the first place. Anyone spending this much on cooling is going with a water loop which is more versatile and looks cooler.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Because according to the AMD crowd, their CPU's don't need anything more then the bundled Wraith cooler, ignoring that AMD's highend CPU's don't come with a cooler any more
just like according to the intel crowd, intels cpus dont use more power then what their BS TDP rating state ? come on spongie, your pro intel views are showing more and more :)