News Overclocker Pushes AMD's Ryzen 7 5800X3D Beyond 5 GHz

Oct 5, 2021
Slightly confused about the state of board partners and manufacturers.

AMD and Intel build the chipsets. The board partners buy the chipsets direct, build a board and, lately, are releasing BIOS updates supporting BCLK ocing for cpus designated as "locked".

Understanding we see custom BIOS loads all the time which are community provided, why would board partners jeopardize their relationship with either company?

AMD and Intel build the chipsets. The board partners buy the chipsets direct, build a board and, lately, are releasing BIOS updates supporting BCLK ocing for cpus designated as "locked".
When AMD and Intel says a processor is "locked", it means the multiplier either can't be adjusted or it can't be changed beyond the specifications and possibly the setting for Vcore cannot exceed a specified amount. The primary reason to do this is so people don't take a cheaper part, do an easy overclock, and try to sell it in a computer as a more expensive part.

BCLK however is provided by the motherboard. In addition, overclocking using BCLK is a very tedious process because it affects every aspect of the system and due to the various high-speed buses we use now, a slight deviation is enough to throw everything off.

Reactions: KyaraM
Apr 1, 2020
BCLK overclocking, formerly HT Base, formerly FSB, is such a nightmare...

But, again, AMD could have left the 5800X3D unlocked but capped the voltage at 1.35v, which is more than both this and the previous 4.7ghz took to hit their speeds.

Reactions: Makaveli

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
5800X3D OC-ed at 5Ghz should smoke anything and everything in gaming... I would love to see a gaming benchmark with that CPU OC-ed.

I should also smoke the 5800X in productivity, so all the complains would be moot.

Slightly confused about the state of board partners and manufacturers.

Understanding we see custom BIOS loads all the time which are community provided, why would board partners jeopardize their relationship with either company?
As long as the board makers only use it for "internal quality control" they can do whatever they want.
Even if they release the bios, as long as it comes with all the disclaimers it's ok.
5800X3D OC-ed at 5Ghz should smoke anything and everything in gaming... I would love to see a gaming benchmark with that CPU OC-ed.

I should also smoke the 5800X in productivity, so all the complains would be moot.
Yeah it would also smoke itself...
Or go back to settings that it can survive at which point it wouldn't smoke anything (more than previously) anymore.
There is a reason that everybody overclocks this thing but nobody posts any performance numbers, it can barely load windows, and any load above that would probably make it crash.

Reactions: KyaraM
Oct 5, 2021
When AMD and Intel says a processor is "locked", it means the multiplier either can't be adjusted or it can't be changed beyond the specifications and possibly the setting for Vcore cannot exceed a specified amount.

Yep. When I say locked I mean locked. Shouldn't be overclocked via bus or multi. I'm referring specific. to bclk; ocing the chipset bus..

If you ask me.. just another PR gimmick.

As long as the board makers only use it for "internal quality control" they can do whatever they want.
Even if they release the bios, as long as it comes with all the disclaimers it's ok.

Contradictory statements but I get what you're saying. Intel didn't seem too keen with it to the point of asking it to be disabled.

AMD is still using cheesy, influencer-based, marketing and I really wish they would drop it already. They make good stuff and can do better than this nonsense.

My entire point is the lack of business ethics and the bleed-over between the enthusiast community and certain companies. They're simultaneously taking the fun out of the pastime and pre-loading performance metrics to inflate cost.

Lame af

Makaveli

Splendid
This 5Ghz overclock doesn't mean anything unless it can run benchmarks at this speed and BCLK overclocking is not something I would want to use since it overclocks other items on that bus.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Yep. When I say locked I mean locked. Shouldn't be overclocked via bus or multi. I'm referring specific. to bclk; ocing the chipset bus..

If you ask me.. just another PR gimmick.

Contradictory statements but I get what you're saying. Intel didn't seem too keen with it to the point of asking it to be disabled.

AMD is still using cheesy, influencer-based, marketing and I really wish they would drop it already. They make good stuff and can do better than this nonsense.

My entire point is the lack of business ethics and the bleed-over between the enthusiast community and certain companies. They're simultaneously taking the fun out of the pastime and pre-loading performance metrics to inflate cost.

Lame af
Can you proof that AMDs reasoning in locking overclocking because it’s bad for the 3DVcache is wrong? Otherwise your whole post makes 0 sense. That said, I trust AMD on this, they locked OC because the risk is too high with amateur overclockers or regular people. If it’s not a risk it’s not locked, very simple. There’s no need for negative PR unless you simply can’t allow it.