[SOLVED] Overclocking 101 Question

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
If I raise the muliplier on a Ryzen 5 1600AF, does that automatically disable turbo mode? Or will turbo mode increase accordingly?

Ryzen 5 1600AF
Biostar B450m
2x8GB DDR4 3200
GTX 1660

Solution
Hi there

Short answer is, yes, it does. With that said my 1600x @3.9 all core still boosts ever so slightly, just 100mhz or so. For Ryzen you need to balance if the all core OC gives you better results than the boost. Measure it in game, or with a benchmark, and determine which is best foe you.
Hi there

Short answer is, yes, it does. With that said my 1600x @3.9 all core still boosts ever so slightly, just 100mhz or so. For Ryzen you need to balance if the all core OC gives you better results than the boost. Measure it in game, or with a benchmark, and determine which is best foe you.

Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Hi there

Thank you for that confirmation. I wondered why stress testing the CPU it never went past the multi x base clock value. I don't have a good enough board to do much of an OC. I just wanted to get the 1600af up to R5 2600 speed.

@ hotaru.hino
Do you think my board would safely handle setting the clock speed to R5 2600 turbo speeds? .i.e. 3900 mhz? With the proper cooler of course.

Thank you for that confirmation. I wondered why stress testing the CPU it never went past the multi x base clock value. I don't have a good enough board to do much of an OC. I just wanted to get the 1600af up to R5 2600 speed.

@ hotaru.hino
Do you think my board would safely handle setting the clock speed to R5 2600 turbo speeds? .i.e. 3900 mhz? With the proper cooler of course.

Ah, I'm not so sure about that. My mob is an Asus Prime B350 plus. It's just standard fair with 4+2 phases. Not exactly the most robust. Your mobo is the same I think, so 3.9 could be achievable. The key though is to test your system as you OC. Start low, 3.7ghz or so, stress test it and see what temps you hit. Ideally you want to be under 80c full Prime95 stressing on small ffts.

My cooler is a Wraith Spire max rgb. It's rated for 145w. My 1600x draws about 125-130w at load (@3.9) so the cooler, although not the best (or worst) keeps temps under 80c. It hovers around 72-75c stressing with Prime95 for 8+ hrs.

Of course you have to factor in voltage for your OC. Start at 1.275 or 1.3v. Change the multiplier to 37 and run Prime95 small ffts for 1hr. If there are no crashed workers, then try a higher multiplier with same voltage. Test again. If it crashes, increase voltage up one notch, and try again at higher clockspeed. Rinse repeat until you hit max frequency while keeping temps below 80c.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Ah, I'm not so sure about that. My mob is an Asus Prime B350 plus. It's just standard fair with 4+2 phases. Not exactly the most robust. Your mobo is the same I think, so 3.9 could be achievable. The key though is to test your system as you OC. Start low, 3.7ghz or so, stress test it and see what temps you hit. Ideally you want to be under 80c full Prime95 stressing on small ffts.

My cooler is a Wraith Spire max rgb. It's rated for 145w. My 1600x draws about 125-130w at load (@3.9) so the cooler, although not the best (or worst) keeps temps under 80c. It hovers around 72-75c stressing with Prime95 for 8+ hrs.

Of course you have to factor in voltage for your OC. Start at 1.275 or 1.3v. Change the multiplier to 37 and run Prime95 small ffts for 1hr. If there are no crashed workers, then try a higher multiplier with same voltage. Test again. If it crashes, increase voltage up one notch, and try again at higher clockspeed. Rinse repeat until you hit max frequency while keeping temps below 80c.
1.275 or 1.3v(?) My default CPU voltage (in BIOS) is 1.417 already.

The settings is "auto". But that is the value shown on the main page of the BIOS. I'll try to get a BIOS screenshot if it has that function.
Then your processor should be fine at the voltages @keith12 mentioned. Ryzen aggressively bumps up the voltage to ensure it can hit turbo boost clock speeds. A cursory glance on the internet tells me a lot of people have been able to get it to 3.9 GHz at ~1.275V. Considering the 1600 AF is a Zen + core, this is consistent with when I dabbled with this on my 2700X. It would sit at 4.0GHz all cores at 1.26V.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Then your processor should be fine at the voltages @keith12 mentioned. Ryzen aggressively bumps up the voltage to ensure it can hit turbo boost clock speeds. A cursory glance on the internet tells me a lot of people have been able to get it to 3.9 GHz at ~1.275V. Considering the 1600 AF is a Zen + core, this is consistent with when I dabbled with this on my 2700X. It would sit at 4.0GHz all cores at 1.26V.
Exactly!

TRENDING THREADS