Overclocking 3770 non-K?

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Hey I'm putting together a video editing build and I picked up the 3770 non-K the other day because I wasn't thinking of overclocking. I really had no interest in serious OCing because I'm on a budget and did not want to invest in a bigger case, large water cooling or air, etc.

Now I kind of feel like i made a mistake: I still haven't opened the box so I was thinking of returning it to microcenter for the K version, but it's totally sold out! I don't know when it's coming back or if it's worth the trip so...

Basically, as I said, I was never going to be investing in serious OCing. If I can get to 4.2 on the stock cooler on a non-K, I'd be plenty happy. How hard is it to reach that on a non-K version? Very difficult? Would I be running very hot? I do not want to mess with the base clock, stability is first and foremost my priority.

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

Looks like the 3770 has a stock frequency of 3.4 GHz, but it can turbo boost up to 3.9 GHz. This means that, if it's enabled in your BIOS, the chip can automatically clock itself up to 3.9 GHz when under heavy load. I'm not sure if it does this for all of the cores simultaneously, or only one/two.

The thing that makes the K versions overclockable is an unlocked multiplier. Since your 3770 doesn't have this, you would only be able to adjust the BCLK, which as geekapprovec said will only let you go up maybe 100mhz.

You won't be able to hit 4.2, nor get solid consistent overclocked performance, on a non-K chip or on a stock cooler. If you do want to overclock I would say return it for the K version, you will probably have this chip for a few years and it would give you extra flexibility. But you will need to purchase a better cooler if you want to overclock it.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Well that's what I thought and why I opted for non-K. I was already going over my budget and I needed to invest that 35-40 extra bucks in a better PSU.

But looking at some benchmarks, OCing even to 4.5 could shave off a few minutes on some bigger rendering and exports. Somewhere around 30% better performance.

Is this is a huge deal? No. I'll be editing at home and I can multitask during those few extra minutes but I still feel like I kind of screwed up, since I'm pretty sure the 3770k was in stock at the microcenter I was at the other day.

I can still upgrade RAM and GPU in the future, but the idea of OCing some extra performance out of it seems like a good idea in retrospect.

Ok well get the K then.

$35-40 for a better psu? Your going to have to spend more than that if you expect to get something that's not garbage and can power a new gpu.

That is of course unless you find some awesome megadeal after rebate, which is possible. That's how I pretty much get all my stuff and all my psu's.

jpastuch

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
No, I meant 35-40 MORE going towards my PSU. I'm getting a Silencer MKIII for 77 bucks. It's 600W, which is a ton of headroom for my needs.

I would consider swapping for the 3770k but its out of stock now for however long.

vaell

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I also bought a 3770 non K... and i wish to get as much from it as possible, I am even considering getting a H80 hydro corsait water cooler...

with the water cooler what would be the maximum you would expect from the non K version.. I want to know to see if it is worth investing on the water cooler.

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

No, you cannot overclock the regular 3770 chip much at all. The only thing you can increase is the base clock, which will only give you a few percent increase before becoming unstable. You need the K version to do virtually any overclocking.

Because of this, water cooling is completely unnecessary for you. You don't even need an aftermarket cooler, the stock intel one will be sufficient.

remainz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
3770 at 4.10 on stock cooling
I bought the 3770 non k for rendering. I have a gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H., but only 8gb corsair ram.

With the included motherboard software I can set the cpu to run at 4.1 on stock cooler and its been rendering all night at 100% no problem, with one click!

Ironically I had no intention of overclocking this as I have built several systems before with the intention of oc and they never achieved any oc without issues.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
DJDecibel just answered my question for a 3450s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/342087-28-3450s-multiplier-locked

The answer is you get "limited unlock" of 4 bins (multiplier +4). Not sure if your chip will be different and get more than +4 or the same. search "limited unlock bins" and you will then get the articles.

Maxing the multiplier out is deadsimple and should cause no issues.

Once you go up +4bins THEN you hit that wall you can only adjust bclk which maybe you can push up from 100. This is where you may need to adjust/test fiddle with ram settings and voltages; but maybe you should be able to achieve 105. Higher if you are extreme overclocker (but then if you were extreme you should've gotten a k).

but point is, everyone above saying you can't adjust multiplier at all on non-k is dead wrong. You can get up to +4

chattster

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I have Asrock Extreme 4 mobo and the 3770 non-k version. I have managed to OC it to 4.3Ghz (4310.31Mhz 105.13 x 41) with no probelms at all. I have managed to go to 107.63 x 41 4412.83Mhz but i see high temps at this. (Idle 40C +, 100% lolad 90C+) With the stock cooler i was seeing pretty high temps but i upgraded it to a cheap cooler master hyper tx3 evo £17 on amazon and have seen temps drop 10-15 degrees.....Dont know if CPU's are like graphics cards, what i mean is I have a GTX 670 FTW and my clock speeds are 1267/3929 (+53/+729) I have seen others with the same card hitting 1300+ but lower on memory so perhaps this is the same with CPUs?

If anyone flames me for this info i can prove it all with screenshot if ness.

My Spec
I7 3770 non-k 3.4Ghz @ 4.3Ghz
Asrock Extreme 4
LG Super Multi Blu Ray RW
Samsung 24x Speed Plus DVD/RW
OCZ Agility 3 SSD 64GB Boot Drive
WD 500GB HDD
2T Seagate HDD
8Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
OCZ ZS750W PSU
GTX 670 FTW 2GB @ 1267/3929

dsm2gturbo

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Can you post a screenshot of the voltage settings and all the info from the OC Tweaker section from the Bios of that Motherboard? I also have that same MB/CPU Combo.

chattster

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Hope these help...Im a complete noob when it comes to host pictures so if they do not work im sorry and ill give it another try!

AXTU.png.html

GCPU.png.html

hardwaremonitor.png.html

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

A non-K 3770 on an editing build with 16GB of RAM will do the job with no issues, as well as any gaming you'd like to do, just using the turbo boost enabled in BIOS. If stability is so important, why even bother OC'ing a non-K? Furthermore, I'd never OC a system using the stock cooler.