Overclocking 4690k with cooler master 120

Funky_jj

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
So i have just attached a cooler master 120 to my 4690k in the hope to overclock it. However before i started i decided to run a prime95 test to see what temps i was getting before i even started. Im worried because ive heard i should be fine overclocking using this cooler.

So i ran the test with a manual setting for the fans to speed up sooner so i have them at 20% until 40 degrees and then to reach 100% when i hit 66 degrees.

When i run the test the cpu hits 90-95 degrees with a lag on the fans not kicking in right away. And then when they do kick in the dont really get it down much, i see core one getting down to 88 degrees but the others are still in the 90-95 range. I dont let it run for long as these temps tend to scare me.

But this doesn't look promising for overclocking even the tinyest amount on the 4690k everyone who i have spoken to about it or everywhere i have read says this cooler should be fine to overclock this cpu with.

Please help im so disappointed right now as i have just replaced the stock cooler with this and thought id see improvements.

Thanks.

Funky_jj

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
ok so reseated cooler block wiped off excess paste. not sure which of these was the problem but now before i have overclocked im using prime95 stress and getting 58-60 degree temps which is nice :)

TRENDING THREADS