[SOLVED] overclocking 4790k - trying to get 4.8GHz stable. Gigabyte Z97P-D3

WoodyRed

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
dunno if anyone has any suggestions of other settings I can try, this is my first overclock

i7 4790k
corsair h100x (240mm AIO water cooler)
corsair rm850x PSU
motherboard is Gigabyte Z97P-D3

currently running happily at 4.7GHz on all 4 cores. temps are fine, staying below 80 °C under full load. Using cinebench R23 to test stability.

the only settings Ive changed are

CPU ratio = 47 on all the cores
Vcore voltage is set to 1.295v (1.29v would sometimes crash, 1.295 seems ok)
uncore ratio = 40. (AKA Ring Bus)

when trying for 4.8 - the above settings crash early on in a cinebench test. Ive tried with vcore voltages up to 1.4v - still crashes.

the other setting Ive tried is "VRIN external override" - AKA Input Voltage,VCCIN, Vrin, Eventual Input Voltage - Ive tried using auto setting for that - and manually setting to 1.9v or 1.8v, also tried 4.8GHz on one core then 4.7GHz on the other 3. still get crashes.

Ive used this for information - **link removed - it was the haswell overclocking guide from overclockers. you can google it if you want to know what one.

any other settings I can try ? thanks

Last edited:
Solution
dunno if anyone has any suggestions of other settings I can try, this is my first overclock

i7 4790k
corsair rm850x PSU

currently running happily at 4.7GHz on all 4 cores. temps are fine, staying below 80 °C under full load. Using cinebench R23 to test stability.

when trying for 4.8 - the above settings crash early on in a cinebench test. Ive tried with vcore voltages up to 1.4v - still crashes.

the other setting Ive tried is "VRIN external override" - AKA Input Voltage,VCCIN...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

i7 4790k
corsair rm850x PSU

the other setting Ive tried is "VRIN external override" - AKA Input Voltage,VCCIN, Vrin, Eventual Input Voltage - Ive tried using auto setting for that - and manually setting to 1.9v or 1.8v, also tried 4.8GHz on one core then 4.7GHz on the other 3. still get crashes.

Ive used this for information - **link removed - it was the haswell overclocking guide from overclockers. you can google it if you want to know what one.

any other settings I can try ? thanks
That's a rather poor board for overclocking be happy with 4.7

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Not all chips will go to 4.8, no matter what cooling or motherboard you have or what settings you use. That's just how it is with overclocking, you need a little luck as well as everything else to get a CPU which overclocks well.