[SOLVED] Overclocking 5820k, what's my next move?

strea

Honorable
Jun 18, 2015
ASUS x99 Deluxe II
1000w Seasonic Platinum

I started with 4.0 @ 1.1v (stable).
Went to 4.3 @ 1.225v (stable).
Now at 4.4 @ 1.225v (stable).

4.4 / 1.225v temps are

Idle: 35c
Max load: 70c

This is my first OC and never blue screened, just been raising voltage along the way as to what I read were the averages. (I doubt this is the correct way to do this, but yeah, first timer).

At this point, I figure I'm going to keep raising by 100mhz until I blue screen/fail stress test.

THEN at that point, what do I do? What increment should I raise by? Go up to 1.25? Go up to 1.27?

Note: Not really interested in adjusting other things besides core voltage, not experienced enough.

Thank you.

Solution
In general you increase the VCore a few steps when:
  • The system wont even boot.
  • The system crashes while booting into the OS.
  • The system randomly crashes in the OS.
  • The system crashes when stress tested.

Your limit for overclocking the CPU in general is when you:
  • Reach the maximum voltage you're comfortable running the CPU at. (I think those chips don't like >1.35v?)
  • Can't keep the CPU cool under load.
You might want to learn what other settings to adjust when you really start pushing the CPU. Sometimes you need to bump secondary voltages like VCCSA/VCCIO/"vInput"(?).
There appears to be other voltage settings you can adjust that helps keep the overclock stable. I don't know that platform very...

compprob237

Distinguished
In general you increase the VCore a few steps when:
  • The system wont even boot.
  • The system crashes while booting into the OS.
  • The system randomly crashes in the OS.
  • The system crashes when stress tested.

Your limit for overclocking the CPU in general is when you:
  • Reach the maximum voltage you're comfortable running the CPU at. (I think those chips don't like >1.35v?)
  • Can't keep the CPU cool under load.
You might want to learn what other settings to adjust when you really start pushing the CPU. Sometimes you need to bump secondary voltages like VCCSA/VCCIO/"vInput"(?).
There appears to be other voltage settings you can adjust that helps keep the overclock stable. I don't know that platform very well (I know old X58/LGA1366 systems way better than newer stuff) so hopefully someone that knows it better can give you more specific advice.

Solution