[SOLVED] Overclocking a 1060 6gb

hrisimir

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
Basically I have the suggestion (from the pc shop (a change of usb port nothing major) to actually OC my gpu but I am not sure if my PSU can handle it. I asked em for specifics and they said 150 MHz Core Clock, +600 MHz Memory Clock but my PSU is barely bronze rated so yea I am kinda scared . My spechs are
ROG STRIX B250G mobo (old I know)
1060 6gb msi gaming x6g
psu is bequiet! system power 9 600 watt (does a decent job actually).
i5 7500 cpu
2133 Mhz kingston hyperfury x
1 ssd (oc exclusive ) 128 gb
1 ssd 500 gb samsung 980
1 hdd seagate baracuda 1 tb.
Right now temps and what not are completely fine all across the board.

So basically should I let em go trough with it /is it worth it or I shouldn't. I really

Solution
OC my gpu but I am not sure if my PSU can handle it. I asked em for specifics and they said 150 MHz Core Clock, +600 MHz Memory Clock
These are just MSI Afterburner settings. Neither of them actually increases the power draw.

+150MHz Core Clock is an offset which tells the GPU that at a given voltage (say 1.0V) to run the core clock 150MHz greater than the stock curve. It's essentially an undervolt (likewise at the same frequency, you're applying less voltage compared to stock)

+600MHz Memory Clock I believe** functions the same way. VRAM hooks for software monitoring tools are considerably more limited. On my previous RX480 I'd found that AMD Polaris cards feed the VRAM the same voltage as the core. That's not a...

hrisimir

Commendable
Oct 16, 2020
nah they wont. they just suggesting it as a .... service so to speak. I just don't know much about numbers and voltages and all so I though of asking here just in case.

OC my gpu but I am not sure if my PSU can handle it. I asked em for specifics and they said 150 MHz Core Clock, +600 MHz Memory Clock
These are just MSI Afterburner settings. Neither of them actually increases the power draw.

+150MHz Core Clock is an offset which tells the GPU that at a given voltage (say 1.0V) to run the core clock 150MHz greater than the stock curve. It's essentially an undervolt (likewise at the same frequency, you're applying less voltage compared to stock)

+600MHz Memory Clock I believe** functions the same way. VRAM hooks for software monitoring tools are considerably more limited. On my previous RX480 I'd found that AMD Polaris cards feed the VRAM the same voltage as the core. That's not a well-known or readily published bit of info. **I'm still exploring this for my 3060Ti.

As long as they're not applying >100% power draw setting in Afterburner, you should be fine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS