Overclocking a CPU

zamuda.mi

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018
Hello. I have a core 2 quad q9500 with a gigabyte ep-45 ds3l motherboard and 8gb of ddr2 800mhz ram...I recently buyed a gtx 1050 to be able to play some games...But I didn't know there will be a big cpu bottleneck.Some people told me that if I overclock the cpu that the bottleneck will be smaller.Example of a bottleneck for me:
Fortnite 1920x1080p only view distance to epic (competitive settings)...the cpu works at 90% and the gpu at 60%...lowering the resolution won't change the fps.The cpu is factory clocked to 2.83 ghz..overclocking it further than 3.10ghz is bad,the pc won't boot into the system and it will keep rebotting.I'm 15 years old and just need some help to get the most out of my system :).(sorry for my bad english).

Solution
OCing a proc will reduce the bottleneck.
"Reduce"
The problem then will be, how big the bottleneck was and how high you can OC your proc.

In general Core 2 Quad is already old and already a bottleneck for many new games, especially for cpu heavy games. OCing it will not really improve the situation. It is just time to get a new proc.

Reducing resolution will only lessen the GPU burden, not CPU burden. You can not do much if your CPU is already the culprit.

More to OC, assuming you are already familiar of OCing correctly, how high you can go involves also your luck. If you get a good sample, you can OC your proc high. My old Q6600 can reach 3.3GHz without issues, I consider it as I kinda won the silicon lottery back then.

BTW, how...
OCing a proc will reduce the bottleneck.
"Reduce"
The problem then will be, how big the bottleneck was and how high you can OC your proc.

In general Core 2 Quad is already old and already a bottleneck for many new games, especially for cpu heavy games. OCing it will not really improve the situation. It is just time to get a new proc.

Reducing resolution will only lessen the GPU burden, not CPU burden. You can not do much if your CPU is already the culprit.

More to OC, assuming you are already familiar of OCing correctly, how high you can go involves also your luck. If you get a good sample, you can OC your proc high. My old Q6600 can reach 3.3GHz without issues, I consider it as I kinda won the silicon lottery back then.

BTW, how is the fps you get? FPS average and stability.

Solution