Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I've been tweaking my dual P3 rig to get a little more out of it. It's a dual P3 933Mhz on a CUV4X-D with 256MB PC-133 SDRAM and a GeForce4 Ti4200.

I've managed to make both processors run at 1008Mhz - a nice 8% overclock. For that to work, the PCI bus is now operating at 36Mhz, FSB at 144Mhz. Good thing with this tech, BTW, is that these processors don't have 50+W power ratings, but rather 25W only... Or I'd have a major cooling problem...

How much is too much for the PCI bus to become problematic? I mean, how much higher could I go, before problems arise? I've been thinking about keeping the computer @ 1.0Ghz. Should I expect any problems?

I'm kind of new in OCing... I've never tried it, but it seems like fun and it didn't do me any harm... yet!

That depends on the paticular board and PCI devices you have installed.
My TUSL2-C would run fine at 167fsb,PCI@41 and AGP@83 but my CUSL2-C wou start crapping out at anything over 150fsb PCI@37.5 and AGP@75. Back up your Important data and go for it. You may get Harddrive corruption from the ATA controller being on the PCI bus. The reason for backing up the important stuff.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm... a 150Mhz FSB sounds more or less OK, because that's just a 12% OC, but a 167Mhz FSB sounds like way too much... I doubt I'd get my two P3 CPUs to 1.17Ghz (167x7) without damaging something...

I'm kind of afraid to go around testing things... I'm thinking about settling for the current 1.01Ghz... (1008Mhz) Even more so given that this is a dual CPU rig...

endyen

Splendid
As wusy said, the most likely thing to go first, is the agp card. I doubt your bus can handle much more than 40/80/160, but you should be good to close to that.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
You may get Harddrive corruption from the ATA controller being on the PCI bus. The reason for backing up the important stuff.

This happend to me once with my KT333 motherboard. after i pushed it far enough (i think i was at like a 150mhz fsb up from 133, overclocking an axp palomino) my harddrive madea wierd sound and i got read errors. the partition was unreadable and i had to start from scratch :/

-------
Work sucks.

i had a ABit BH6 with a GeForce2 MX400 AGP and sound and lan and it would run at FSB133 with the FSB100 ratio's (44mhz PCI, 88mhz AGP) and it would somehow handle that speed but odly in battlefield 1942 one of the sea levels the colours would just corrupt but still remain stable - its a touch and go thing - similar cards (eg a ASUS GeForce card and a Leadtek GeForce card) might run better - all a matter of luck.