overclocking a non k i7 4790, can it be done?

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
basically i have been running firstrike benchmarks and it seems my cpu is not turboing to 4.0 like it should.... my stock clock is 3.6 and my turbo is supposed to be 4.0, i even tried oc genie to put my stock to 3.8 and my turbo stayed at 4, but still my cpu will not go any higher than 3.8. when i get my results it says reported stock 3.6 and max 3.8 even though im using oc genie... can i overclock my non k version in any way? i have a watercooler btw.

Solution
You can, I am using MOBO Asus z97m-plus + i7 4790. Can be overclocked upto 4.22GHz

1.) Enable Max Turbo Boost in BIOS
2.) Adjust the base freq. using Intel XTU
- Click Manual Tuning > under Reference Clock to 105.5589MHZ
3. Restart & Done!

tested in MOBO Asus z97m-plus.

Snapshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nefhtu9df5zmy20/i74790OC.PNG?dl=0

snowctrl

Distinguished
You cannot OC a non-K CPU, except perhaps a bit of BCLK overclocking, depending on your mobo, but this will give you little advantage for a lot of work - I wouldn't bother.

If you're not seeing the Turbo Mhz you should be getting, I wonder if your processor is getting too hot - are you using the stock cooler? Consider investing in an aftermarket cooler such as the ever-green Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. You might also consider improving your case cooling.

As for not seeing Firststrike benchmarks that you'd like, are you sure it is not your graphics card at fault? Imporving your case cooling will likely also help your graphics card

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you have a motherboard that offers multiple BCLK / CPU straps you can. 100Mhz stock

100x38 = 3.8Ghz
BCLK overclocking you might get 105 if you are lucky = ~3.990 Ghz
Some of the nicer overclocking boards offer the following strap configs.

With those you can achieve almost any speed, but not sure they work when you plug in a non-K series chip (And it is honestly quite hard to find a stable point)

callDevil

Reputable
May 31, 2015
You can, I am using MOBO Asus z97m-plus + i7 4790. Can be overclocked upto 4.22GHz

1.) Enable Max Turbo Boost in BIOS
2.) Adjust the base freq. using Intel XTU
- Click Manual Tuning > under Reference Clock to 105.5589MHZ
3. Restart & Done!

tested in MOBO Asus z97m-plus.

Snapshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nefhtu9df5zmy20/i74790OC.PNG?dl=0

Solution

WOW - TKS FOR POSTING THAT - i've got the z97m-plus mobo and was must searching to see if anyone had managed to overclock my cpu -- big thanks