Question Overclocking a non-K processor using BCLK ?

Jul 15, 2022
My question is :
I used to overclock my non k CPU i7 4790 on z87 g45 motherboard using BCLK overclock or something , At first i tried BCLK 102.00 it works fine at the beginning then after using it for a while like 4 - 5 hours my screen turns black
and shows NO-SIGNAL on monitor , i can't restart my pc and launch again until 1 hours passes .
I want to know if i can manage to make it work fine at 102.00 because it really makes a difference for me after testing it, or no.
Might be useful infos :
8gb ram with the speed 2666mhz ( i tried lowering ram frequency too before using bclk)
psu : 550w

My question is :
I used to overclock my non k CPU i7 4790 on z87 g45 motherboard using BCLK overclock or something , At first i tried BCLK 102.00 it works fine at the beginning then after using it for a while like 4 - 5 hours my screen turns black
and shows NO-SIGNAL on monitor , i can't restart my pc and launch again until 1 hours passes .
I want to know if i can manage to make it work fine at 102.00 because it really makes a difference for me after testing it, or no.
Might be useful infos :
8gb ram with the speed 2666mhz ( i tried lowering ram frequency too before using bclk)
psu : 550w
Manipulating BCLK/FSB also influences memory and PCIe clocks so unless you can lock those it may cause problems.

Jul 15, 2022
The reason it is probably shutting down is you are overheating your cpu at 102 and it takes an hour for it to cool down to a useful temperature. Which will shorten the life of your cpu.
Actually i checked my cpu temp when using " 102 bclk " and it was 70 - 60 while gaming and idle 35 - 45 ( using Core Temp , Open HardWare Monitor )

Jul 15, 2022
How important can 2% cpu performance be?
Is the improvement what a benchmark shows, or can you actually feel the difference?

There are other more likely avenues to improve performance.
Do you use a ssd?
Is your ram dual channel? Can you make use of 16gb?
i tested VALORANT i used to have some kind of stuttering when i had 3.6GHz cpu stock , my cpu turbo is 4.0GHz but it seems to not reach it , it reaches only 3.8GHz in CPU-Z and task manager 3.78GHz/ But when i get it to 102.00 i get 4080mhz in CPU-Z task manager says i have 4.3GHz and it was more stable in Cpu-Z it doesen't drop from 4000MHz+ even if it drops only to 3.9GHz not so much. And when i was playing i didn't experience stutters in the game , No fps drops when the rounds get chaotic it used to drop from constant 180fps to 80 - 100
And the game felt smoother.

Do you use a ssd? : yes i use ssd
My ram is dual channel.

Actually idk what 2% cpu performance did but i felt the game smoother.

(It's not overheating it's only reaching 70 - 60 about 10 degrees changed from normal) "WHILE GAMING."

If the game is smoother, but also fails, I would not count it as a success.
As above, overclocking on that gen cpu had to account for memory setting.
Even more so if you change fsb which interacts with everything.
Failure over time smacks of a heat issue.
Possibly caused by overclocking the chipset.
I do not think it is a cpu heat issue.
Perhaps a vrm or chipset issue.
Take the side cover off and direct a house fan at the motherboard.
See if that helps.

Or, try 1.01 and see if you do ok.

Keep in mind that a modern cpu, ram and motherboard that is considerably faster might cost you $250 or so.

Jul 15, 2022
If the game is smoother, but also fails, I would not count it as a success.
As above, overclocking on that gen cpu had to account for memory setting.
Even more so if you change fsb which interacts with everything.
Failure over time smacks of a heat issue.
Possibly caused by overclocking the chipset.
I do not think it is a cpu heat issue.
Perhaps a vrm or chipset issue.
Take the side cover off and direct a house fan at the motherboard.
See if that helps.

Or, try 1.01 and see if you do ok.

Keep in mind that a modern cpu, ram and motherboard that is considerably faster might cost you $250 or so.
Yeah actually i decided to not overclock it anymore just let it like this.
Im willing to do some changes im not not changing the whole pc
Im changing MotherBoard CPU and RAM.
cpu from i7 4790 to i5 12400f(good price for me)
mobo from z87-g45 to Z690
ram (IDK) to XPG SPECTRIX DT50 16GB (2x8GB) 3200 RGB DDR4 GREY EDITION

I want to ask some question :
will my data in ssd / hdd remain in them or should be removed??
is 550w psu enough for it or should i change??
will there be some issues cause i changed not the whole and i didn't wipe the data?
Hope you answer those questions. Ty

Do you plan to do a clean install of windows, or do you plan on trying to just upgrade hardware?
Most will recommend a new clean install.

Regardless, how do you now protect your data?
The data files on your ssd and hdd will not be changed if they are disconnected while you do a new windows install on a new/separate ssd.
Apps that need the registry will need to be reinstalled.
There is a procedure to move steam games.

If you want to try to reuse your current C drive, Protect it first.
I might clone it to a larger ssd.
If you can boot from the clone on a new system, then just install motherboard drivers and you are likely good.
Intel to intel seems to have a reasonable chance of working well.

Later when you reconnect ssd and hdd drives, data folders will still be there.

TRENDING THREADS