[SOLVED] Overclocking a non K processor

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I am wanting to overclock my processor, and I'm wondering if it's possible. If it is how would I be able to do it, I believe I would most likely need to go into the bios settings, when I was in there I didn't find too much about it, all I found out was BCLK, which I figured out wouldn't help me that much as I only have 3 options in that setting. I have the i7-4790 non k, and a ASUS Q87M-E Motherboard, the main reason I want to do this is because I have encountered some bottle necking with my gpu which is a Gigabyte GTX 1080. I feel like this would help it a bit, not completely obviously but could still make a difference. My other pc parts are: 24GB ram 650+ gold psu, 1TB HD.

Solution
Are you going to be installing Windows on it using a clean install or are you going to be cloning your current operating system installation over to the new drive? If you plan to clone it, then your SSD needs to be larger than the amount of data that is on your current hard drive by about 15-20%, at least.

If you have a 1TB hard drive that is nearly full, you can't clone it to a drive the same size or smaller. You'd need to clean it up and get it below the size of the SSD you plan to use by uninstalling programs and cleaning out garbage. Usually, just doing a clean install is the better idea especially if it's been a while since you did one, or if you've NEVER done one since you owned the machine.

If you plan to clone, I'd read this...
No, there is no non-K overclocking on the Haswell processors. At least, not on anything other than the G3258 Pentiums and that is only if you have the right board and bios version. For yours, you shouldn't really be seeing any bottleneck with that graphics card, but if you are, I would first try doing all the following:

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

Having a HDD rather than an SSD isn't helping you any either, is probably the main reason you are having performance issues in the area of loading games, maps, levels or textures if you are. And I'm sure you are, even if that is not you primary issue. It would certainly be helpful anyhow.

Also, I'd run CPU-Z to see if your memory is running in dual channel. With 24GB rather than 8, 16, 32, 64, etc., it's possible that you are not. 24GB is a non-standard configuration, but you still might be running PART of the memory in dual channel while part of it is in single channel, if your board supports that type of FLEX mode operation. If it does not, then you are probably running all 24GB in single channel depending on where your DIMMS are installed and what board you have. Look on the memory and SPD tabs in CPU-Z for that information.

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

I was able to find the BIOS Download for my motherboard, but I encountered the problem in which I can't open it, I don't know if I uninstalled a program or something, but it shows as a blank thing, where I can open it with different softwares, I'm not sure which one I need to open it, I believe it is a CAP file, I tried to use wireshark but it didn't work.

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Ok and about the SSD, how much would you recommend, 240GB, 120GB? from Kingston they have some decent prices, also I would appreciate a guide/tutorial on how to set up an SSD, as I've never had one.

Are you going to be installing Windows on it using a clean install or are you going to be cloning your current operating system installation over to the new drive? If you plan to clone it, then your SSD needs to be larger than the amount of data that is on your current hard drive by about 15-20%, at least.

If you have a 1TB hard drive that is nearly full, you can't clone it to a drive the same size or smaller. You'd need to clean it up and get it below the size of the SSD you plan to use by uninstalling programs and cleaning out garbage. Usually, just doing a clean install is the better idea especially if it's been a while since you did one, or if you've NEVER done one since you owned the machine.

If you plan to clone, I'd read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3855796/ssd-sata-system-optane-hdd.html#21623243

And if you are going to do a clean install, follow this guide word for word:

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

Solution

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Ok so currently I have 558 GB free of 930 GB, I could probably clean out roughly around 100GB maybe 200GB, if that were so it would be 558/600/700GB, how much would I need roughly for those as an SSD, I think cloning might be easier, but which ever method is easier I would most likely want to do. My brother currently has 2TB hD and 120GB ssd, he got a pre-built pc, I am wondering if this is the right way to do it, as I said before I have no experience with SSD, I'm just looking for a boost in performance in games with this SSD.

Yes, a 250GB SSD with a 1TB or larger HDD is a pretty standard configuration that works well, but you will need to do a clean install unless you are willing to shell out the cash for a 500GB or large SSD.

How much can you afford for a new drive or drives?

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Well I was looking at the Kingston SSD's and I'm willing to spend about 40$, https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-120GB-Solid-SA400S37-120G/dp/B01N6JQS8C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546225050&sr=8-2&keywords=kingston+ssd
The 240G is 40$, and the 120 is around 20$

Crucial SSDs are generally better quality and more reliable than Kingston who has a track record of pulling stunts using cheap controllers on their SSDs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($37.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $37.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-31 03:08 EST-0500

If you can afford a few bucks more, this MX model has much better, longer endurance, so more reliable for the long term than any other of those cheaper drives. Kind of important when it comes to a solid state drive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $49.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-31 03:10 EST-0500

kvnhardware

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017

Ok if I were to get the MX500 250 GB, would you say that it should increase performance in my games, main games I paly are Battle Royale related, if so, I would also need guidance with installing it as I said before I've never dealt with an SSD. I have extra cables with my psu.

Fast storage, IF the game is installed ON the SSD, will reduce loading times like levels, maps, textures, etc., but there is NO kind of a storage device that will increase your FPS or reduce lag WHILE gaming. For that, only a faster CPU and graphics card will help.

Fast storage WILL make a lot of other things speedier though, in the operating system or it will also reduce times when having to write files to the drive like saving games or for some applications.