[SOLVED] Overclocking a old GPU

Jan 12, 2019
Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot about overclocking and I've got a question, I got a GTX 970 and I'm feeling that I want to get more FPS, however it's nearly 4 years old, If i dont increase the voltage will it not die quicker? Like lets say up the memory clock and core clock in the MSI afterburner will it live the same as a stock one but without any increased voltage?

Solution
Any time you increase the clocks you reduce life.

Think of the card and it's freq like a light switch. You can only flip the switch so many times before it gets worn out.

That said, they are designed to last a long time.

The card is four years old, before over clocking, try giving the card some maintenance if you haven't already. (Disassemble, clean, install new thermal paste) See what that nets you in fps gains.

The GTX970 is highly overclockable, but over clocking will not help if the paste is done.

InfoSponge16

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Any time you increase the clocks you reduce life.

Think of the card and it's freq like a light switch. You can only flip the switch so many times before it gets worn out.

That said, they are designed to last a long time.

The card is four years old, before over clocking, try giving the card some maintenance if you haven't already. (Disassemble, clean, install new thermal paste) See what that nets you in fps gains.

The GTX970 is highly overclockable, but over clocking will not help if the paste is done.

Solution