Overclocking a Q6600 to 3.2-3.4ghz

Bstanway15

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
This computer is my first build so it is quite simple although I heard that the q6600 had alot of overlcoking potentail but I am unsure of how to do it. My motherboard is an asus p5g41m-lx ddr3
I am running liquid cooling but the only thing I am stuck on is the cpu vcore I can only increase it by small increments (.5mv) and it only has 4 settings. There is also a cpu vtt core which I am unsure of. Would I be able to reach a stable overclock by altering this I can only alter the cpu vcore from 1.25 to 1.28-1.3 I think. So I am guessing that I if I alter this I may be able to overclock to 3.2-3.4ghz. I need some advice on correct values for the selected clock and the board thanks

Solution
Hi,

First thing to do is to download some temperature monitoring and CPU monitoring software, I have Used CPUID and RealTemp with good results and Prime95 to stress test (all are free).

To start you want to run Prime95 (chose the blend test option) without an overclock to see what temperature your chip automatically goes to in RealTemp (or other monitoring tools). This just gives you a feel for how good your cooling is etc.

Now go into your motherboard.
Jumperfree configuration > Overclocking > Manual.
Now change the Frequency to 333mhz (I believe this to be good for the chip)
Change the multiplier to 8x (333*8 = 2.7ghz)
Choose a Vcore voltage of about 1.3v.

To start you do not have to worry about other...

bleechy

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
Hi,

First thing to do is to download some temperature monitoring and CPU monitoring software, I have Used CPUID and RealTemp with good results and Prime95 to stress test (all are free).

To start you want to run Prime95 (chose the blend test option) without an overclock to see what temperature your chip automatically goes to in RealTemp (or other monitoring tools). This just gives you a feel for how good your cooling is etc.

Now go into your motherboard.
Jumperfree configuration > Overclocking > Manual.
Now change the Frequency to 333mhz (I believe this to be good for the chip)
Change the multiplier to 8x (333*8 = 2.7ghz)
Choose a Vcore voltage of about 1.3v.

To start you do not have to worry about other settings, just try and boot into window with this. If the system does not boot you require more Vcore Voltage. When in windows stress test, if the system does not crash and the temperatures do not go above 65c you can increase your multiplier to 9x. By stress test I mean at least an hour, many people suggest much longer.

When you increase your multiplier you may need more voltage... but this may make your chip over heat which is the worse thing you can do! *safe maximum is about 70deg on those I think* On the other hand you may be able to decrease the initial voltage to 1.28 etc.
The system might need more voltage or less, it all depends on your chip. It's all about starting with a small overclock, stress testing and trying to lower the voltage to make the temperature go down before going for more speed and voltage.

Your VTT is the memory controller inside your chip. This should be somewhere between 1.2-1.4v max.. basically it should be almost equal to your DRAM voltage for stability, if it is on automatic be sure to check CPUID to make sure it does not go too high as it can be dangerous.

Solution