Overclocking a Quad core

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Hey hey,

Given the fact that Intels quad core CPUs will be clocked at similar speeds to the Core 2 Duos how likely is it that these will be just as overclockable as the Core 2's are?

Also, does anyone have any idea as to when we can expect to see the quad cores on the mainstream market, I'm planning to upgrade my 4 year old computer in June.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I predict this will be a little more diffucult to get a reliable overclock. reason is all the cores have to scale up the same, and you can only go as fast as the weakest core. going up to four from to makes it that much more likely a core will not accept the new clock. just my idea...

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I just got the OK to order my company a new server. I decided on a Dell Poweredge 2950 with 2 x Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X5355, 2x4MB Cache, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB, and 16 Gigs o RAM. Yup you read it right. 8 Processors, and 16 Gigs of RAM. I'll see if I am able to ramp it up at all when it comes in. The whole shebang is coming in at just under $15k CAD.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I just got the OK to order my company a new server. I decided on a Dell Poweredge 2950 with 2 x Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X5355, 2x4MB Cache, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB, and 16 Gigs o RAM. Yup you read it right. 8 Processors, and 16 Gigs of RAM. I'll see if I am able to ramp it up at all when it comes in. The whole shebang is coming in at just under $15k CAD.

While its not quite what us on the domestic market will get, that would be very interesting to see. Alaskafox's theory seems sound, lets see how it will work in practice.

oh and PS: don't break it.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Quad core processors are harder to overclock because with the 4 cores, there is that much more heat that needs to be dissipated. The quad core intel processor pulls off a 130 watt TDP, which is a lot of heat, so you'll be hard pressed to get a cooling system that can pull off enough heat to keep it cool.

phaxmohdem

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Re:Rhino...

PLEASE don't overclock that server. While OCing is safer now days than ever, servers are built for maximum reliability NOT maximum speed necessarily. Any OC compromises that stability and likely Voids any warranty or service you may have on that expensive box.

I'd be shocked if Poweredge BIOS's had any overclocking options in them at all anyway.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
LOL The proc wouldn't stay in the Dell for the test, and would fully be running stock in the Poweredge anyways. No Dell Bios does not have any ability for overclocking. Just currious if one would scale up nicely or not.
:wink:

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

No, no temps but all the same, with a watercooling kit, they did a 1ghz overclock! Thats no mean feat, and suggests that much of the core 2 duos overclockability has been transferred to the Quad core! We will have to wait for THG to get their hands on one to be sure!

I probably wont bother with a watercooling kit, just get a good Zalman heatsink, and hit the 3ghz mark. CPU speed is v. important to me as my new rig will be used for playing Supreme Commander at max eye candy, and as we all know, RTS's are heavily CPU reliant.

Tung

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Make sure you wait until the Price Drop in Q2 2007, don't buy unless Core 2 Quad's price drops if you're thinking about getting the core 2 processors.

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
C2QE price seems to have stablized... I have a spreadsheet that I update daily since late November and the price volatility has tapered off. Since 12/26 I have flat lines on my graph from $1009 to $999 and holding (Newegg Pricing).

I read the article about Intel price drops, and the updates to the article... I really didn't find any mention of the QX6700 price dropping per se.

If you have some information on it I would love to see it if you can provide a link.

pmt411

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I have a Q6700 system. I use a modest overclock of 3.2mzh and use the Coolit Freezone to cool the cpu, it does a fairly decent job and I recommend it.