Overclocking abit ip 35 pro,but need help

mrfrantik

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I really need to ask before i OC my abit ip 35 pro.I been searching lot of forums but still need to ask few questions.As still i am confused about lot of things which i need to ask.As one can't just OC what usually stated in forums.I am goin to OC my gpu as those thread seems quite easy to do .Anyway

I have
MOBO- abit ip 35- pro
CPU-Q6600
RAM -2gb Gskill ram F2-6400CL5S-2GBPQ
PSU-COOLERMASTER -500 I GREEN
GPU-NVIDIA9800GTX
CPU FAN-COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 (http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2206)
cabinet=COOLER MASTER 690
With 4 cooler master fan attached to cabinet http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=2908
I have never oc but i really want to OC it so can't just do it without any good advice.I might have OC by reading other forums but honestly i just couldn't find any post that is easy to OC abit 35.Hope u guys help me

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Alrighty, here are a few things. Down Load Core Temp, HWMonitor and CPUz and Prime 95. Run all but prime and list the VID that Core Temp displays.

Once you see what it is, go into the Bios and enable Load Line Calibration or whatever its called on your board! And set the CPU VCore to the same reading in Core Temps VID field while at stock speeds of 2.4 Ghz then save and boot into windows. Run CPUz and note the core voltage section, and list what its now lower value is as well as the factory VID.

Then run Prime 95 on all 4 cores using small fft torture test. Let it run for a full 1 minute then note the now lowered again value in CPUz's core voltage section. List that one here as well.

That will tell me all I need to know about the chip itself, and it should allow me to make guesses on required VCore voltage to run at whatever over clocked speed.

Then we will get into the rest of the junk!

--Lupi

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

Sorry Lupi
I have a question
What is the benefit of knowing VID ??
I've seen this requested by overclockers in many posts
Mine is 1.18
And I had to increase The voltage of my processor to 1.23in Bios to run my E8500 at 3.8
If I reduce voltage one notch prime 95 will fail after 2hrs.
And CPU-z is reporting under full load (Prime95)1.208
So there is a voltage drop though Loadline Calibration is enabled
If disabled voltage drop will be more
I did not find faqctory VID beneficial in anyway
Did I miss something??

mrfrantik

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
first of all very thx for helping me out ,this is gonna take some time to do all the stuff but i give u info asap,secondly i would also like to tell u that there is abit uguru utility(though i dont know much how to use it) u might like to know.
Thx again

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I think the UGURU will mess junk up, like temps and stuff. I have read about its many flaws! Just post your results here when yer done, especially the VID. Thanks!

Kad, VID means everything! Thats your Chips Factory Voltage Starting point. Obviously, if taking a series into account, for instance. a 1.2000 VID q6600 Vs a 1.3000 VID chip. In my Bios a 0.1 VCore increase is 19 Bios VCore notches for me.

19 Bios VCore notches I get to use and the 1.3000 VID doesnt! Not to mention the more VCore you use, the more you'll need! And then as you raise it, the electricity becomes less efficient, producing more heat, etc.

The lower VID chip doesnt have to deal with such things until near 3.8 Ghz, while the higher ones get 3.6 within 1.5 V specs. (I got a 1.25000 VID chip to hit 8 hour prime stable at 1.5000 volts, in spec! You'll never do that with a higher VID chip.)

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I forgot to add that a 45 NM chip VCore and VID and VTT all go down, due to the way intel fuels the damn entire chip! They let physics take over, and electricity passes between the transistors with almost no loss in power. all 500 million of them, hehe. Because of the over all size of things!

So I havent studied up on 45 NM chips, but since its all the same signaling in each chip, the ways to OC it efficiently should be the same!

--Lupi

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

So baisically VID is the voltage required to run the CPU stable at default
And of course the more low it is the higher speeds you'll get when increase voltage during OC
:hello:

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Pretty much, but remember, when you hit the Lowest VID chip, they may really mean the listed MAX voltage for it. Because they would have to test on the lowest VID chip. If the chip requiring the least power can always take at least 1.45 Volts, then the ones opporating on a higher natural VCore should at least be able to take as much as the one needing the lowest voltage.

IE, obviously the most sensitive device to voltage will be the one opporating at the lowest natural voltage. If we have a 1.5000 volt power serge, who is gonna damage easier? The one who uses 1.2000 volts or the one using 1.3000? Obviously the one using less will have the potential to actually get damaged.

--Lupi

mrfrantik

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
i think i might be wrong somewhere but Cpu core voltage is same in bios that is 1.3250v so how i am suppose to change it.As its the same in windows too.Rest u can see the pic.Sorry if i undertand something wrong but , i guess i couldn't even do the first step as what u told me
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/mrfrantik/Capture1.jpg
Secondly that uguru utility is in bios itself and to change the vcore setting i have to go inside that uguru.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Thats fine! Disable speed step in the bios! That messes up the voltages! Then if its at 1.3000 in the Bios, I can see what its idling at in windows. It idles low in windows now because of Speed step stepping it down. I need to see it un altered.

Then I need you to DL and run Prime 95 small FFT torture test on all the cores for 1 min, and take another SS while loaded! Almost there!!

--Lupi

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
It's neat that you almost has the same hardware as I do.

Abit p35 pro-MB
ZALMAN CNPS9700-cpu cooler
Q6600 OC to 3.3Ghz run at 1.29v-cpu
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB-ram 1.8
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W-ps
DIAMOND Viper 3870PE4512SB Radeon HD 3870 512MB OC to 827mhz gpu-vga
COOLER MASTER 690-awesome case
WD 74GB Raptor-main drive
WD 36GB raptor -temp drive
1.2 TB (2x 640GB striped RAID) WD-Data drive
LG Hd-dvd/Blu-ray combo drive
Windows XP SP3

I choose the ATI GPU over Nvidia for HD decoding under XP. System is built for video transcoding.

I dont have any advise-finding out for yourself your system limitation is the fun part. Took me over 2 Months. I started out with windows vista ultimate sp1. I ran a lot of system tweaks to speed up vista. I even add 4GB of readyboost flash drive. After 3 weeks of vista, I went back to XP. XP transcode video faster than Vista. The difference range from 1 to 2 mins.

Good luck on your venture.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Vdrop/VDroop of .650? Unless you have a load line calibration that you can turn on, you'll need like 1.5250 in the bios to get near 1.45 loaded like you'll need for 3.6!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Well, turn on load line calebration, set the FSB to 400, the CPU multiplier to x9, disbale all CPU options like c1e, vanderpool, disable bit, etc... then disable all spread spectrum junk. Up your North bridge voltage to 1.45ish Set your ram to default timings and make your Memory divider 1:1 or sync mode so it runs with the FSB. (400 x double data rate is 800 Mhz.)

And you are most of the way there. Hope it simply works!

--Lupi!