[SOLVED] Overclocking Acer Predator XB241H (180hz)

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I’ve had the acer predator xb241h for just under a year, and i have a 1080ti and i7-8700k so I wanted to push more frames out of my display. I’m wondering if overclocking it from 144hz to 180hz has any risks, and what those risks are. Thanks!

Solution
That monitor is advertised as being overclockable to 180hz. I have never managed to damage a monitor by overclocking it, but it will produce more heat than it would at 144hz so there is always the chance. It can also screw with gamma levels so if the monitor gets brighter or darker thats why.

You are the only one who can decide if you should do it. If I was getting 180 frames in a game and my monitor could do 180hz I would overclock it personally. But I also would not be sol if the monitor died. If that is your only monitor and you cannot replace it maybe don't take the chance.

mgallo848

Commendable
Do they even overclock that high? I thought 165 was max.

Years ago, I overclcocked a 60hz monitor to 72hz and ran it for about 3 years before the monitor failed because of the overclock.

FYI: Unless your actually able to get 165+ fps in games you won't make use of the increase anyway.

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
Do they even overclock that high? I thought 165 was max.

Years ago, I overclcocked a 60hz monitor to 72hz and ran it for about 3 years before the monitor failed because of the overclock.

FYI: Unless your actually able to get 165+ fps in games you won't make use of the increase anyway.
This model does go to 180hz. And i manage 180+ in R6S so should i do it?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That monitor is advertised as being overclockable to 180hz. I have never managed to damage a monitor by overclocking it, but it will produce more heat than it would at 144hz so there is always the chance. It can also screw with gamma levels so if the monitor gets brighter or darker thats why.

You are the only one who can decide if you should do it. If I was getting 180 frames in a game and my monitor could do 180hz I would overclock it personally. But I also would not be sol if the monitor died. If that is your only monitor and you cannot replace it maybe don't take the chance.

Reactions: oliver.elgersma
Solution

mgallo848

Commendable
This model does go to 180hz. And i manage 180+ in R6S so should i do it?
I believe the ability to see certain differences in mhz varies from person to person. For example:

I've tried 3 different monitors with several different games and I personally cannot see any difference above 120hz. I can see the difference from 100 hz to 120 but anything higher than that looks the same to me. My 18 yr old nephew on the other hand can see the increase from 120 to 144hz.

Try it, see if you like it. If it looks and feels the same to you then I would lower it back to 144 to reduce heat in the monitor.

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018

I know this is a dumb question but could the monitor overclock affect the pc at all? I’m assuming not but i’m new to overclocking.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Just be careful when applying the overclock. If the screen goes black and says out or range or something like that do not touch anything and wait the 30 seconds or whatever it is for it to revert back, you don't want to apply an overclock your monitor cant do.