Overclocking Advice Asus GTX 1060 6gb

To_War_We_Go

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
I've just ordered a new GTX 1060 Asus Dual OC gpu and would like some advice in overclocking it. I've read that it comes with GPUTWEAK 2, so should I just use that to OC it, or delve into MSI AB, keeping in mind that I have never overclocked before. Any general advice welcome.

Solution
Just install MSI afterburner and add +150 to the CPU and +500 to memory. That's pretty much it. Any tiny additional bit you can get beyond that with stability has shown no additional FPS in my experience. I'd configure a custom fan curve also to keep temps the best you can. Try to keep it under 70c. If it reaches in to the 70s under load do what you can to keep it as low as absolutely possible. Even if software only shows 72c its entirely possible there's spikes you're not seeing that are hitting 84c at which point your GPU is gonna throttle and you'll have goofy issues.

You can install furmark and stress test to ensure no driver crashes or freezes.

Some also say to change the setting in nVidia control panel, under "Manage 3D...

To_War_We_Go

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016

Thats not really helping with the question. In the details I said i had ordered it. Plus, it's a free thing to do which can increase performance, why should i not do it. Please, answer the question instead of putting stupid replies like that.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Just install MSI afterburner and add +150 to the CPU and +500 to memory. That's pretty much it. Any tiny additional bit you can get beyond that with stability has shown no additional FPS in my experience. I'd configure a custom fan curve also to keep temps the best you can. Try to keep it under 70c. If it reaches in to the 70s under load do what you can to keep it as low as absolutely possible. Even if software only shows 72c its entirely possible there's spikes you're not seeing that are hitting 84c at which point your GPU is gonna throttle and you'll have goofy issues.

You can install furmark and stress test to ensure no driver crashes or freezes.

Some also say to change the setting in nVidia control panel, under "Manage 3D settings", for "Power management mode" to "prefer maximum performance." Not sure it really makes any difference but I do it anyway.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS