Overclocking AMD FX-6300 with stock fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2018
Hi,

I really enjoy playing a Steam game called ARK: Survival Evolved. It’s a very CPU and GPU intensive game.

I was wondering if I could overclock my AMD FX-6300 and AMD RX 560 to have a better gaming expierence on ARK.

I have a 450 watt psu and I’m not home right now so I’m not sure what my motherboard is, but if u need it, comment that u need it and I will edit this post when I get home.

I normally get around 60 degrees Celsius on average while in game and 40 degrees Celsius while on my desktop.

For the fans, both my GPU and my CPU have the stock fan, so I’m not expecting to get much, but I’m hoping to get a safe and noticeable difference.

I have MSI Afterburner too, if that helps.

Solution
You do need to post your motherboard model in all honesty.

Ive done a massive amount of tinkering with fx chips over the years.

What Ive found with the 6300 is that a straight overclock to 3.8ghz on all cores can normally be achieved on the stock cooler (& on a cheap board) whilst actually lowering load voltage & maintaining the same (sometimes better) temp as at stock.

While 3.8 sounds unimpressive when the 6300 has an advertised 4.1ghz turbo clock ,that turbo is not all-core & when it kicks in othet cores experience erratic clock drops to maintain tdp.

I did a post on this aeons ago , single core passmark remains about the same at 3.8ghz , multicore passmark has a 10-15% improvement.

If I actually bothered to keep...
Which temps does AOD show ? There are 2 temperatures measured in FX processors. One is Core temp (up to 62c) and Socket/package temps (up to 90c) max.
AOD shows core temps but in reverse as a temperature before throttling point (62c), so higher is better. On a stock CPU cooler I would't expect more than 100 - 200 MHZ of OC.

Feb 24, 2018

I'm not sure what AOD is. I have screenshots of both Global Wattman and MSI Afterburner settings though if that helps.

Global WattMan: https://imgur.com/a/bNhd6

MSI Afterburner: https://imgur.com/a/V3UT8

Spank1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
As long as you have a decent 450w PSU with a 30+ amp 12volt rail you should be able to overclock the 6300 a bit.
Tweak the northbridge & HT link too for more performance.

You could also lap the cpu & cooler with some wet and dry as well as use quality thermal paste to help keep the temps down.

You do need to post your motherboard model in all honesty.

Ive done a massive amount of tinkering with fx chips over the years.

What Ive found with the 6300 is that a straight overclock to 3.8ghz on all cores can normally be achieved on the stock cooler (& on a cheap board) whilst actually lowering load voltage & maintaining the same (sometimes better) temp as at stock.

While 3.8 sounds unimpressive when the 6300 has an advertised 4.1ghz turbo clock ,that turbo is not all-core & when it kicks in othet cores experience erratic clock drops to maintain tdp.

I did a post on this aeons ago , single core passmark remains about the same at 3.8ghz , multicore passmark has a 10-15% improvement.

If I actually bothered to keep tracknofnkynposts Id point you to it , alas Im supremely disorganised though :-/

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS