Overclocking AMD Processor

Michael0090

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
I want to try to overclock for quite a bit to 3.6GHz or 4.0GHz , however I'm a complete newb when it comes to overclocking.
I just don't want it to overload.

My system specs are:
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 II
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black 3.20 GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB kit) 1600MHz
PSU: OCZ Modstream Pro 700W
Graphics card: ASUS ENGTX550 Ti
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS, Western Digital WD10EALX
Cooling: Zalman CNPS9500A CPU Cooler, 2x Cooler Master Sickleflow Case fan

I already set my RAM manually to 1600MHz because i noticed it was set to 1333MHZ.

So what are the possibilities??

Solution
Well since you have a black edition CPU it is pretty easy to overclock.

First turn off CoolnQuiet, C1 mode, turbo core and loadline calibration.

Manually set your CPU voltage to 1.4v

Second, raise your cpu multiplier by .5

Save, reboot, and run a stress test in prime95 for 15 min. Make sure to monitor your CPU temps using HWMonitor. If all goes well, repeat until you either 1. Reach a thermal limit (I think the limit is 62c for the phenom series) or 2. you fail stress test, BSOD, etc.

Once you have reached this point you can raise your voltage. Reboot and go back into your bios. I typically raise my voltage .125v at a time. Save and reboot. Repeat previous step. If all goes will, continue raising mutiplier and voltage till you...

CptBarbossa

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Well since you have a black edition CPU it is pretty easy to overclock.

First turn off CoolnQuiet, C1 mode, turbo core and loadline calibration.

Manually set your CPU voltage to 1.4v

Second, raise your cpu multiplier by .5

Save, reboot, and run a stress test in prime95 for 15 min. Make sure to monitor your CPU temps using HWMonitor. If all goes well, repeat until you either 1. Reach a thermal limit (I think the limit is 62c for the phenom series) or 2. you fail stress test, BSOD, etc.

Once you have reached this point you can raise your voltage. Reboot and go back into your bios. I typically raise my voltage .125v at a time. Save and reboot. Repeat previous step. If all goes will, continue raising mutiplier and voltage till you are either 1. reaching thermal limits or 2. you hit 1.45v.

Once you have hit 1.45v you really shouldn't go any higher. I only say this because I am overclocking my phenom ii 1055t as I am typing this and even though my voltage in bios is set to 1.45 it is showing up to 1.548 in HWMonitor, and from what I have read 1.55v is the absolute MAX u can go with these chips.

Once you find the Max overclock you can with the 1.45v or your temps will allow you have your highest overclock. Stress test your CPU in prime95 for at least 5 hours. If it passes all the tests then you are good to go. If not, drop the multiplier by .5 and try again.

Good luck.

Solution

Michael0090

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Thanks, I will try that.

I turned off CoolnQuiet, C1 mode, turbo core and loadline calibration and set the voltage to 1.4v.

Then I did a stress test with those settings on 16x multiplier (standard 3.2GHz).
I found out that the voltage was more stable then on 1.4 then on auto. But I noticed that HWMonitor and CPU-Z noticed something strange. When the system is idle it shows that the multiplier is 16x, core speed 3.2GHz and the powers, package tab in HwMonitor shows 136.8W (that already looks a bit high because the cpu max is TDP 126W). But when I do a stress test with Prime95 the multiplier and core speed drop by half (I know the multiplier and core speed are connected) and the Power drops to 91.8W.

I was wondering why this is.

CptBarbossa

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Ok, looking at your system specs again I see that you have a pretty bad motherboard. It is a low end board and the VRM on it are pretty poor. That means when a lot of voltage is required it has v-droop. Try putting the loadline calibration to 50%. I tried that on a very similar motherboard and it helped a bit (I don't know why it just did).

You can get aftermarket chipset cooling for your VRM to help with the voltage problem. I would think you could get SOME sort of overclock with that motherboard, though I wouldnt expect much.

Also, if you have a C6 mode you need to turn that off as well. I dont think the old phenom series do but they might.

You can also try pushing your voltage to 1.425 and see if that helps at all. Those VRM should be able to hold up to 1.45 (i would think).

Make sure no balanced power profiles are set in control panel -->hardware options. Also pop the sie case panel off and face a fan into it. Maybe its vrm throttling. Beyond heat though the vrms have their limits. The motherboard may not be able to safely deliver the voltages you have set. Or the power supply is causing the same problem (not strong enough to deliver all the power demanded )

D

Deleted member 1560910

Does you mobo have a overclocking tool were it will do it for you ? If you don't know what you doing this is the easiest.those Thuban CPUs I heard are more tricky than the Denab.

CptBarbossa

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
^ Manual overclocking is by far the best, and you can find overclocking guides if you are new to the whole thing.

I really think the motherboard is the problem. I switched to a gigabyte 970aud3p and my overclocks became much higher and more stable. I really like the idea of overlocking on cheap motherboards but your gains will be much lower than a high end motherboard.

The cpu you have has a high power draw as it is, so drawing more power via overclocking will probably be very tough on the VRM.