[SOLVED] Overclocking an 11900K ?

Jun 22, 2021
Would anyone be willing to sit down with me and assist me jn OC'ing an 11900K? I have started to read the OCing guide and it is just a lot to take in. I'd feel very comfortable having an experienced person help break it down just a wee bit more. My bios are just all over the place in my head. I'll be home in about another hour.

Solution
Please DO NOT use AISuite to do ANY overclocking. You can corrupt your Bios. If you feel you want to use it just use for monitoring purposes. All Overclocking should only be done in Bios.
Check your Bios version in Bios and list here. I see your on 1007.

Check in CPUz that your Vcore corresponds to what vcore is in HWinfo64. (1.296v Max)
Ok from your current Overclock you have just a little headroom left so try a 5.0Ghz Overclock and raise your multiplier to 50. If the system fails then increase Vcore in .001 steps and LLC 1 step up. Run Aida64 again for the full 20mins to establish the MAX core temp at 5.0Ghz.
Your rail voltages are still stable so you should be good to go.

You have the tools now to try for a max Overclock however...

Lutfij

Titan
Not every BIOS is the same unless you're working with the same range of boards from one maker. That being said, please list the specs to your build in order for us to gauge if you have any limitations with your system since overclocking does introduce risk to your build. Mind also sharing which OC guide you're reading through?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Would anyone be willing to sit down with me and assist me jn OC'ing an 11900K? I have started to read the OCing guide and it is just a lot to take in. I'd feel very comfortable having an experienced person help break it down just a wee bit more. My bios are just all over the place in my head. I'll be home in about another hour.
I would just leave it alone it's not like the old days when you could overclock and get 10 to 20% performance boost. The new chips with their boost speed already use up about everything they got.

I will assist you with your OC and the 11900K. Just list your MB and all other system specs.
As a beginner it is important to understand the prerequisites prior to Overclocking or it will become a frustration.

Depending on your cooling system some have got in excess of 5.2GHz on all cores from 3.5Ghz and all for free.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021
I was just reading over the basic guide listed here.

My PC specs are.

CPU: i9-11900K
MB: Asus ROG Maximus XIII (Wi-Fi)
RAM: G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz @CL14
GPU: Asus 2080Ti Strix
AIO: Asus Ryujin 360MM
PSU: Asus Thor 1200W

Your system is well capable of a decent Overclock with the AIO you have.
Here are some downloads you need to obtain: AIDA64 and HWinfo64, ROG CPUz.

Can I assume your case is a full tower?
First you need to establish a baseline for your OC so conduct a stress test at stock frequency using AIDA64. Go to the Tools section and select to stress test the system.

Check the boxes for CPU,FPU and cache only, then run the test for 20mins. Stop the test if temps reach 80C and on any subsequent tests. At the 20min mark take desktop pics and upload to IMGUR to obtain a bburl as a link here.

I will want to see CPU temps at the t-die and your rail voltages under load. For this use HWinfo64. You can have both on your desktop together.

Once you have results and an analysis we can move on.

Jun 22, 2021
It is a full tower. I was going to do all of this tonight but work has left me a little drained, so I'm going to try this one the weekend and get this whole process started. Would it be possible to DM you when I'm ready? Maybe Discord or something?

Broviet1337

Commendable
Aug 11, 2021
Can do these one at a time but @MeanMachine41 I just built a PC for the first time in 11 years and am also having a slow time catching up.. found this post because @Ahxakri and I have pretty similar builds. Let me know if you're willing/able to multitask and help an out of date enthusiast out 😂

Specs are:
-11900k running a Lian Li Galahad AIO
-Asus Rog Maximus XIII Hero
-64Gb G.Skill F4-3600C14D-32VK (CL 14-15-15-35 1.45v Samsung B die)
-Samsung 980 Pro 2Tb NVMe
-RTX 3090 FE
-1200W EVGA PSU (80+ Gold)
-Lian Li O11D XL case, with 10 total fans in the case now, going to eventually water cool but wanted to push as far as I can with fans and an AIO

I've got a lot of self educating to do, but id be happy to upload anything anyone wants if it will help! Thanks in advance folks 😊

Broviet1337

Commendable
Aug 11, 2021
I'm just trying to get the same rail and t-die specs he asked for, I'm on discord as well if you guys wanna use that platform? I'll be up for at least a few more hours so just let me know 😂

Broviet1337

Commendable
Aug 11, 2021
1mAOG7f.png

not sure if this helps, cant find where the t die portion is lol still digging

1mAOG7f.png

not sure if this helps, cant find where the t die portion is lol still digging
There are more pages to open in HWinfo64 for the t-die temp.
Warning of Overheating is due to Turbo Boost on a couple of Cores.
Stop the test if temps reach 80C within the 20Min stress test.
Do not make any arbitrary changes in Bios till I tell you.

We are now ready to Overclock. Is your Bios and chipset up to date?

Go into your Bios>Extreme Tweaker Menu>Ai Overclock Tuner>Set to Manual

Keep it simple Initially, Disable Turbo Boost.
Our target frequency will be 5.0GHz however in 3 stages.

Using your multiplier key in 46 for an all core Overclock @ 4600Mhz.
CPU core ratio>Sync all cores.
Disable C-states. (These are power saving features and can spoil a decent Overclock). You can turn them back on once the system is stable at the target frequency.
Check your Core Voltage. It should be around 1.375V on the core.
Set LLC (Load Line Calibration)to mid range and SOC voltage to no more than 1.2V
You have the ability to save a Profile of your Overclock, so do this if the system boots OK. Usually in the Tools section.
As the systems DRAM parameters are stable leave Timings and Voltage as is.
All other Bios settings on auto for now.
Stress test the system for 20mins and report back with graphs as before.

Last edited:

Broviet1337

Commendable
Aug 11, 2021
Just realized that the posts above were with my tinkering profile still enabled.. so i'm attaching another screenshot of just stock BIOS+XMP1:
C4O8AOC.png

I'm trying your suggestions now and I'll upload results as soon as im done, the bios version and chipset drivers are all current, as well as anything OS related, I'll report back as soon as I'm done!

Just realized that the posts above were with my tinkering profile still enabled.. so i'm attaching another screenshot of just stock BIOS+XMP1:

I'm trying your suggestions now and I'll upload results as soon as im done, the bios version and chipset drivers are all current, as well as anything OS related, I'll report back as soon as I'm done!
I don't know what user manual you have however there are two. One is from ASUS support and does not contain any Bios Overclocking info.

Here is a better Bios manual and many references regarding Overclocking Tweaker menu:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO/E10343_MAXIMUS_VIII_HERO_UM_WEB.pdf
Please use this one when exchanging info.

Broviet1337

Commendable
Aug 11, 2021
Alrighty, so just to summarize for you @MeanMachine41

-went to Extreme Tweaker Menu>Ai Overclock Tuner>Set to Manual
-think I disabled turbo boost (turned off ABT, I think TVB is still "on" or set to auto, not sure if that makes a difference)
-set all cores to sync, and set the multiplier for all cores to 46
-disabled c-states
-checked core voltage per your suggestion and it was reading out at 1.21V on the core
-LLC on this mobo allows me to set a value of 1-8, it recommended 4, so I've set it to that (was at 1)
-SOC Voltage was a little confusing, I couldnt find it anywhere in settings, so I'm assuming it was the "CPU Core Auto Voltage Cap" setting in Exterme Tweaker\Auto Voltage Caps ... I set that to a value of 1.2
-created a profile called test1 so we can load back to it if needed
-reset my XMP profile from the custom timings that I had stabilized to rule any of that stuff out (I'll play with that later) for now the DRAM frequency is set to the XMP recommended 3600mhz, CPU-Z in my screenshots shows the timings.
-all other settings are left on factory defaults or auto

Here's a screenshot of the results from the changes above, let me know if I messed anything up or what to change next, and again, thank you for helping out with this!

mPlIGqp.png

Broviet1337

Commendable
Aug 11, 2021
looks like changing to manual also wiped away the XMP ram timings (set it to 19-19-19-43 for some reason.. so I'm setting it back to what the XMP values on the RAM reads: 14-15-15-35 @ 1.45V)

looks like changing to manual also wiped away the XMP ram timings (set it to 19-19-19-43 for some reason.. so I'm setting it back to what the XMP values on the RAM reads: 14-15-15-35 @ 1.45V)

Make sure the system is stable with XMP prior to more Overclocking of the CPU.
OK your temps are in check and Voltages are OK @ 4.6Ghz
Up your multiplier to 48 for 4800Mhz
Increase LLC by one point
Set current capability to 120%
Enable Extreme Tweaking. Disabled by default.
As you have AIO water cooling set for TPU ii
Check your Core voltage?
If at any stage the system refuses to boot or goes belly up then go back to your previously saved profile.

I don't need all the graphs just HWinfo64 for rail voltages under load and Aida64 stress graphs. It's difficult to read all as presented so I won't need MSI nor Motherboard or Intel info. Open CPU menu in CPUz to double check Core voltage.

You are also using HWMonitor and it's not a good idea to run two Temperature Apps at the same time to prevent erroneous sensor reads. Just have HWInfo64 open and you can expand the pages?
No Benchmarks. Plenty of time later for that.

The next phase will be fine tuning at 5.0Ghz if temps are OK

Last edited:

Broviet1337

Commendable
Aug 11, 2021
okay, I'm going to reapply my XMP and get those settings populated, but have to run in to work in the next 10-15 minutes so probably wont have time to test it until I'm back

Alrighty, so just to summarize for you @MeanMachine41

-went to Extreme Tweaker Menu>Ai Overclock Tuner>Set to Manual
-think I disabled turbo boost (turned off ABT, I think TVB is still "on" or set to auto, not sure if that makes a difference)
-set all cores to sync, and set the multiplier for all cores to 46
-disabled c-states
-checked core voltage per your suggestion and it was reading out at 1.21V on the core
-LLC on this mobo allows me to set a value of 1-8, it recommended 4, so I've set it to that (was at 1)
-SOC Voltage was a little confusing, I couldnt find it anywhere in settings, so I'm assuming it was the "CPU Core Auto Voltage Cap" setting in Exterme Tweaker\Auto Voltage Caps ... I set that to a value of 1.2.
-all other settings are left on factory defaults or auto
Ok SOC voltage provides power to the Memory Controller on the chip. Reads differently in some Bios.. Not sure with yours so 1.2V is safe.
SOC voltage is also known as VDDCR providing voltage to the memory controller and iGPU.

Last edited:

Broviet1337

Commendable
Aug 11, 2021
Okay sorry work kept me busy, but here is the info for the 4.8 tune:
xlEhfjf.png

-Looks like my version of AI Suite doesnt have any TPU tune profiles :( but since I'm not too worried about my electric bill, I've set all of my fans to run at full capacity, this is the current setup/airflow, and until all of my watercooling parts come in, the test above is sadly the best temps I think I'm going to see. (TEK & CPU block from EK are backordered so I have no idea when that will come in)
iauPuJH.png