[SOLVED] Overclocking an i9-9900K on Linux ?

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Hi, I have a 9900K + Aorus Z390 ITX + Noctua D15 on my hands :)
I feel curious to try and overclock it. Any resource I should read to know what I need to know?
What software can I use on Linux Debian to test for overclock stability ? (or is it all through the Bios?)

Thanks!

Solution
Dialing in overclocks will have to be in BIOS. Stress testing can be done with app's in the OS. You can read more here. Please keep in mind that overclocking will demand more from the entire system, so if you lack a reliably built PSU, lack good airflow in the chassis, lack good ambient air temps and have a clogged/dusty cooler, it'd be a good idea to address them before you jump into overclocking.

Further reading;
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-stress-test-your-cpu-on-linux

Lutfij

Titan
Dialing in overclocks will have to be in BIOS. Stress testing can be done with app's in the OS. You can read more here. Please keep in mind that overclocking will demand more from the entire system, so if you lack a reliably built PSU, lack good airflow in the chassis, lack good ambient air temps and have a clogged/dusty cooler, it'd be a good idea to address them before you jump into overclocking.

Further reading;
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-stress-test-your-cpu-on-linux

Reactions: Regev
Solution

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
I have a Platinum 700W SilverStone with a Silverstone LD03-AF

As for the software, only one I can find on the official Debian repository is the HardInfo, but it doesn't seem to give you any stress test to test the OC (besides basic benchmarks)..?

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Guys what would be some very basic tweaking for the 9900K that literally any 9900K should withstand safely without even needing to stress test? (on a Z390 Aorus board, and a Platinum 700W PSU, good airflow too).

If the mainboard supports MCE, this feature when enabled should attempt to boost all cores to 5.0 GHz under all-core loads (up from default 4.7 GHz all core turbo), but, no certainty even the Noctua will keep up with that sort of thermal load, especially if the mainboard uses a tad too high of a core voltage...

Reactions: Regev