Overclocking an XFX R7 250, 2GBs DDR3?

Aug 5, 2015
Hello Toms!

I need help figuring out how to overclock an XFX R7 250 2GB DDR3 Core Edition and an AMD A10-7890K's memory clock and GPU frequency, respectively. First off, I intend to use these two in Dual Graphics, so I want them to share identical clock speeds in memory and operating frequency.

The XFX R7 250 has a core clock of 1050 Mhz, and a memory speed running at DDR3-1600, according to Radeon Crimson 17.4.4.

The A10-7890K currently has a GPU clock of 866Mhz, and a memory speed of DDR3-2133, despite installing a Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2400Mhz kit, because it spits out tons of memory errors when XMP'd to 2400. 2133, no memory problems whatsoever. The UEFI reserves 2 GBs of system memory for the Dual Graphics procedure, since the frame buffer sizes must match.

I know that overclocking the iGPU of the 7890K is done in the UEFI, but what knobs do I turn, so to speak? How do I add more voltage when the only voltage adjustments are the CPU and Northbridge voltage, along with VRIN calibration? Is that useful? Motherboard in use is the Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI. Ideally, I'd like to get to 1050 Mhz, mirroring the XFX card.

Now, I can also tell that the XFX card should be OC'd separately from the iGPU before activating dual graphics. However, I don't see any options to add memory voltage in Crimson. Should I keep using Crimson for this, or should I try MSI Afterburner instead? Ideally, I want to hit 2133 Mhz, mirroring the system memory.

Finally, how do I test if an OC for either of these is stable?

Solution
If you're crossfiring identical GPUs, or SLI-ing (which requires identical GPUs), then yes the frequencies should be matched. Not sure how it works for mix-matched GPUs/dual graphics. I figured it wouldn't make a difference, given that they are different GPUs with different core configurations and different memory interfaces. Even if you match the clocks, they would still be mismatched. I could be wrong though.

You might still be able to overclock your VRAM a bit even if you can't change the VRAM voltage.

Edit: If you scroll down to the Overclocking section of the following article, you can see screenshots with GPU-Z showing different clock speeds for integrated and discrete GPUs...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There's no need to match core/memory clocks between your GPU and iGPU, nothing special will happen.

You can't typically change voltage on graphics card VRAM.

I'm under the impression you can use Wattman/Afterburner to overclock iGPU as well. Is you iGPU enabled, and are you able to select between/see both GPUs in Wattman/Afterburner.

Aug 5, 2015

Nothing special? I thought in Dual Graphics, both the VRAM clock and the GPU clock ran at the lowest value for both cards, unless you attempted to push them both further.

Well, no VRAM overclocking, then. My iGPU is enabled, but there's only a graphics settings tab next to the Overdrive tab and graphics settings tab for the GPU. I can detect and adjust it in Afterburner, but I have to disable Dual Graphics first.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you're crossfiring identical GPUs, or SLI-ing (which requires identical GPUs), then yes the frequencies should be matched. Not sure how it works for mix-matched GPUs/dual graphics. I figured it wouldn't make a difference, given that they are different GPUs with different core configurations and different memory interfaces. Even if you match the clocks, they would still be mismatched. I could be wrong though.

You might still be able to overclock your VRAM a bit even if you can't change the VRAM voltage.

Edit: If you scroll down to the Overclocking section of the following article, you can see screenshots with GPU-Z showing different clock speeds for integrated and discrete GPUs.
http://www.overclockers.com/testing-amd-kaveri-apu-dual-graphics-performance/

Solution