Overclocking and BIOS details.

Varinderpal Singh

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Hey guys,
I was just playing with my old school athlon II x2 260. I have some questions -
1. What is the optimal temperature for its functionality? I have over clocked it to 3.35 ghz from 3.2 ghz and cpu temperture is 54℃. Is that normal ?
2. What is NB frequency multiplier, HT bus speed and HT bus width ?
3. I'm currently using ddr3 8gb 1600mhz ram and it's voltage is is 1.6 V. How would the performance of my pc influenced if I decreased or increased the voltage ?

Thanks for help in advance.

Thermal specs shows that CPU reaching 74º so I think 54º is fine.
Increasing the RAM voltage won't make it perform any better/worse and may damage the RAM. Increasing the RAM frequency might, if done properly.

How are you currently overclocking your CPU? What is your RAM frequency at?

Varinderpal Singh

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

I have overclocked cpu frequency to 208 mhz with 16x multiplier, therefore the clock speed of my cpu is 3.33 ghz.
My mobo is asrock 960gm-gs3 fx.
My current memory clock is 832mhz / ddr3 1664 with the overclocked cpu. Also, I am using amd stock cooler.
Any suggestions ?

Well, you're already running your RAM voltage higher than it's supposed to be. You may have reached your OC limit with that CPU/memory. The multiplier is locked with that CPU so the only way to OC is with the bus speed which you have already been increasing. Increasing the bus speed also increases the RAM speed. Does your system become unstable when you go to 209Mhz?

Varinderpal Singh

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

It became unstable at 210mhz . So I had to scale it down to 208mhz. Not tried at 209mhz.

You said that I'm running ram voltage more than it is supposed to be. Does this mean that I need to lower it down as it might cause some damage ?

Varinderpal Singh

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

I have a question- How would have unlocked cpu helped me? What could I have done with that ?

Varinderpal Singh

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017

Does amd also follow any specific naming scheme to indicate unlocked multiplier similar to intel ? I have always been an intel guy, so I'm unaware about amd.