Question Overclocking and game crashes

Jan 22, 2020
I recently put together a modest build to replace some very dated and tired hardware.

Patriot viper 4 series DDR4 3000mhz 8gb
Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
Rx 570 8gb XXX edition
240gb ssd
500gb hdd
500watt psu
Windows 7

Everything seems to be working well together. I updated my gpu drivers of course and the chipset also activated the XMP profile in bios taking full advantage of my 3000mhz ram speed, which is great! However I am having some trouble with overclocking. I'll be the first to admit I'm a novice when it comes to this, ive just been watching various videos and checking forums.

From what ive read this model GPU shouldn't have much trouble hitting 1400hz on the core clock and ive even seen some go as high as 1480 and I can get it to do 1400 and no change to ram speed without overheating to much under stress testing, usually around 70c but it never goes close to that with just normal gaming.

I also have a modest oc on the CPU of 3.6 (from stock 3.2) and I left voltage stock. 1.35 I believe. My cpu temps never get much higher than 65ishc under a full load with a cpu burner and even lower than that with just normal gaming.

That being said whenever I run any game, could be 5 minutes in or 2 hours in it will abruptly close the game. No error message, my pc doesn't shut down it just closes. This of course is annoying and makes me just want to leave everything stock which it currently is. Am I missing something here? Perhaps the GPU oc is a bit much? I was thinking the pay could be the culprit also as it is on the low end of minimum at 500watts. I never dabbled very much in this so any input would be welcome.

Jun 10, 2019
I would say its an unstable GPU clock, along with the low end psu. I have the rx 580 and have to run it at 1380 as 1400 was giving me some problems (screen tearing and occasional game crashing).... Just because your temps are fine, doesn't mean the OC is stable.

Jan 22, 2020
Ok I believe I have a beefier version of the original the baseline it comes at is 1286mhz. Perhaps I got a little to excited and needed to do more extensive stress testing. I did enable artifacts when I was testing with Kombuster and didn't find any, but i suppose that's not necessarily indicitive of stability either. I'll dial it back and run more testing and report back.

Jan 22, 2020
I will also add that at no point did I mess with the voltage. Undervolting I guess is what it's called. To my understanding the reason to do this is to get the lowest stable voltage to reduce heat. I didnt mess with that though I left it at stock (1150) which is as high as it will go. Oh and I'm also using Wattman to do this OC if that is necessary info.

Jun 10, 2019
If only the game is closing, then I'd suspect drivers.

Since you replaced some hardware and all, did you reinstall Windows after the change?

Motherboard drivers are up to date? Gpu drivers?

After op's reply to mine, he mentions Wattman, which wasn't used too long after its release with adrenaline. There have actually been quite a few updates since. AMD totally removed it and made OC'ing and general setting adjustment a little easier ... So in that case, i will retort my initial guesstimation, and say that GPU drivers are most likely the culprit with this one.

Op, open your main adrenaline settings window, and select update on the bottom left, I believe. You'll need to readjust your GPU settings afterwards... I'll actually recommend MSI Afterburner for overclocking after the update though. Much easier to use, and in my opinion better than AMD's.. You should also think about adding more RAM in the future. 8gbs isn't much when it comes to running windows (7 isn't as demanding as 10, but still holds merit) and playing newer games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88