[SOLVED] Overclocking and its relationship to bottlenecking.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
I'm thinking of getting a 2080 at launch, to upgrade from my vanilla MSI Armor 2070. I currently play at 1080p, but am looking at going to a 1440p TN monitor soon.

There is quite a bit of talk on these forums about bottlenecking of these new GPUs due to slower processors, but what effect will OC'd processors have on that phenomenon?

I currently have a Ryzen 5 2600, and hit the silicone lottery, as I've got it stable at 4.1ghz without much of an increase in voltage. Will it bottleneck a 2080 at 1440p?

Msi x470 gaming plus
16 gigs 3200mhz
Msi armor 2070
Ryzen 5

Solution
Overclocking a CPU of course will make it faster, and bottleneck is a very iffy term that many people just use because they hear about it, how the system runs a game depends on the game and settings. CPU or video card will almost always be behind or ahead of the other in terms of usage in a game. You can only find out specifically through benchmarks in the games you play which one should be upgraded for faster performance.
Overclocking a CPU of course will make it faster, and bottleneck is a very iffy term that many people just use because they hear about it, how the system runs a game depends on the game and settings. CPU or video card will almost always be behind or ahead of the other in terms of usage in a game. You can only find out specifically through benchmarks in the games you play which one should be upgraded for faster performance.

Reactions: bpanugget
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
There is quite a bit of talk on these forums about bottlenecking ...
...And most of the 'questions' are wrong.
The term bottleneck' is one of the most misused and misunderstood things around.

People seem to think that it will somehow slow down the system.
No. Swapping in a better part, either CPU or GPU, does NOT slow the system down from what it was before.

You'll almost certainly get better performance, but maybe not up to the total potential of the new part.

Reactions: bpanugget

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
...And most of the 'questions' are wrong.
The term bottleneck' is one of the most misused and misunderstood things around.

People seem to think that it will somehow slow down the system.
No. Swapping in a better part, either CPU or GPU, does NOT slow the system down from what it was before.

You'll almost certainly get better performance, but maybe not up to the total potential of the new part.

Thanks. I'll look into upgrading my CPU as well then.