[SOLVED] Overclocking and power limitin generate voltage fluctuation. Dangerous?

Feb 1, 2022
I reciently buy with my brother a GPU, Nvidia 3060 EVGA and i want to see how it react with diferent tasks, games and mining. At the end i want to see what would happend if i overclok and reduce power limit and realize that the voltage became unstable it fluctuate like 100mV (+- 50) and the core clock do the same with a flux of arraund 150 MHz is it dangarous that the GPU fluctuate like this?
Edit : the Voltage lower pic is 930mV and the top core clock is 1100MHz

I use Presicion x1 the software for EVGA and MSI. both say the same.

Last edited:
Solution
Chance of breaking by OC is so slim it's almost none. The gpu will shutdown if it overheats, shut down if it becomes unstable. The amount of OC possibility depends on the binning of the silicon, not its purity, but the levels of impurities and types of impurities. The better binned chips will almost certainly go to the FTW lines, unless there's a higher demand for lesser versions. So you could get a Evga Black that'll OC to FTW levels, but is then subject to the Evga Black cooling system, the vram limits, the VRM limits.

With as much performance as AMD, nVidia, Intel are trying to squeeze out of their products now, OC is about dead for regular users. If you want the slightly better performance, pay for the better equipment because it...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There is very little room for overclocking. AMD and Nvidia are 90-95% performance. This means it's very doubtful you can overclock And reduce voltages. Some gpu overclock better than others, some won't overclock at all. Depends on the silicon in the gpu and how much it will take.

Reactions: JotaPe
Feb 1, 2022
There is very little room for overclocking. AMD and Nvidia are 90-95% performance. This means it's very doubtful you can overclock And reduce voltages. Some gpu overclock better than others, some won't overclock at all. Depends on the silicon in the gpu and how much it will take.
So if i overclock the chance of breaking does not depend on the fluctuation of the voltage (going down) but only in the purity of the silicon and how close to the center of the wafer and the temperature, mostly. Right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Chance of breaking by OC is so slim it's almost none. The gpu will shutdown if it overheats, shut down if it becomes unstable. The amount of OC possibility depends on the binning of the silicon, not its purity, but the levels of impurities and types of impurities. The better binned chips will almost certainly go to the FTW lines, unless there's a higher demand for lesser versions. So you could get a Evga Black that'll OC to FTW levels, but is then subject to the Evga Black cooling system, the vram limits, the VRM limits.

With as much performance as AMD, nVidia, Intel are trying to squeeze out of their products now, OC is about dead for regular users. If you want the slightly better performance, pay for the better equipment because it stands to have a better binned processor, better binned vram, stronger VRM's and better cooling.

Used to be possible to get a 1.1GHz OC from some 3rd Gen Intel cpu's. Nowadays, Intel has already done most of the OC for you, called it stock, and leaves you with maybe a 100-200MHz OC, if you are lucky. Same goes for nvidia and amd, there's realistically no need to OC, the gains are not worth the added stress and temps.

Reactions: JotaPe
Solution
Feb 1, 2022

With as much performance as AMD, nVidia, Intel are trying to squeeze out of their products now, OC is about dead for regular users. If you want the slightly better performance, pay for the better equipment because it stands to have a better binned processor, better binned vram, stronger VRM's and better cooling.

Used to be possible to get a 1.1GHz OC from some 3rd Gen Intel cpu's. Nowadays, Intel has already done most of the OC for you, called it stock, and leaves you with maybe a 100-200MHz OC, if you are lucky. Same goes for nvidia and amd, there's realistically no need to OC, the gains are not worth the added stress and temps.
Thanks it really help to solve the doubts.