1.3V
Cooler Master hyper 212

Ram 16gb
overclocked 3600

ryzen master test around 62 deg

aida64 test around 84 deg

Both temps reported by ryzen master

aida64 reported around 42 deg

I don't understand the differnce in temps.
Can some one explain this?

Last edited:
Solution
So, looking at hwinfo I see about the same temps I saw in ryzen master. The only thing I can figure is aida is doing something extra to create the higher temp. Is that a better test
Better in what way?

Stress testing is largely over-rated, especially if it has no relationship to real processing loads your system is likely to encounter. Test it using something realistic: a good one is Cinebench 20. It's pretty heavy but it's using the same routines for rendering images that a real-world application uses, Maxon's Cinema 4D. Another good one is rendering a long video with Handbrake using H.264 encoders. If you're familiar with it, Blender also has some sample objects it can render as a stress test.

Another thing to keep in mind...

I don't understand the differnce in temps.
Can some one explain this?
Most likely how it's being measured...

RyzenMaster uses an averaging method to show true thermal output of the CPU. Aida is probably reporting the 'hot spot' temperature the CPU reports...which is the hottest spot of the CPU at that moment. Hotspot is no more representative of the CPU's thermal output than measuring the temperature of a match and saying that's the your room temp.

RyzenMaster can cause performance problems so get HWInfo64 if you want to use something other than RyzenMaster to monitor temp. It's got a CPU die (average) output as well as reporting the hot spot (CPU (Tdie/Tctrl)).

geoiii

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Most likely how it's being measured...

RyzenMaster uses an averaging method to show true thermal output of the CPU. Aida is probably reporting the 'hot spot' temperature the CPU reports...which is the hottest spot of the CPU at that moment. Hotspot is no more representative of the CPU's thermal output than measuring the temperature of a match and saying that's the your room temp.

RyzenMaster can cause performance problems so get HWInfo64 if you want to use something other than RyzenMaster to monitor temp. It's got a CPU die (average) output as well as reporting the hot spot (CPU (Tdie/Tctrl)).

Reread, I edited and not sure it was read right the first time.

Reread, I edited and not sure it was read right the first time.
Not sure what you mean...as I said, the two utilities use different ways of reporting temps so it's hard to compare. And then running two different stress tests is also going to introduce another variable that makes it even harder to relate the two different temp readings.

Just get HWInfo64 and use that for monitoring temp. Look at the CPU Die (Average) for the best indication of the CPU's thermal state since the hotspot temps are hard to make sense of. At least, beyond knowing it's a hot spot somewhere on the CPU but doesn't mean the whole CPU is getting that hot...although it might be in a stress test that's hitting all cores extremely hard.

But if you want to know instantaneous hot spot temps look at Tdie/Tctl temp.

Last edited:

geoiii

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Not sure what you mean...as I said, the two utilities use different ways of reporting temps so it's hard to compare. And then running two different stress tests is also going to introduce another variable that makes it even harder to relate the two different temp readings.

Just get HWInfo64 and use that for monitoring temp. Look at the CPU Die (Average) for the best indication of the CPU's thermal state since the hotspot temps are hard to make sense of. At least, beyond knowing it's a hot spot somewhere on the CPU but doesn't mean the whole CPU is getting that hot...although it might be in a stress test that's hitting all cores extremely hard.

But if you want to know instantaneous hot spot temps look at Tdie/Tctl temp.
So, looking at hwinfo I see about the same temps I saw in ryzen master. The only thing I can figure is aida is doing something extra to create the higher temp. Is that a better test? May be slow down some.

So, looking at hwinfo I see about the same temps I saw in ryzen master. The only thing I can figure is aida is doing something extra to create the higher temp. Is that a better test
Better in what way?

Stress testing is largely over-rated, especially if it has no relationship to real processing loads your system is likely to encounter. Test it using something realistic: a good one is Cinebench 20. It's pretty heavy but it's using the same routines for rendering images that a real-world application uses, Maxon's Cinema 4D. Another good one is rendering a long video with Handbrake using H.264 encoders. If you're familiar with it, Blender also has some sample objects it can render as a stress test.

Another thing to keep in mind is that RyzenMaster is a tool created for extreme overclockers. So everything it does is aimed at the sorts of things someone overclocking on LN2 would need to do when tuning an overclock and demonstrating stability for their competitions. It's not really practical for every-day use either as it's service is known to hurt performance in games if left installed.

Last edited:
Solution