[SOLVED] Overclocking and temps

danipoz

Honorable
May 31, 2015
I got a GIGABYTE GTX 1060 6GB Windforce OC grapichs card. I overclocked it +60mhz and + 160mhz i ran heaven benchmark dont know how much time but it was 10 runs/times and my gpu's temp was topped at 78C with 100% power limit and with around 75-80% fan speed and jumping from 1860 to 1920 mhz. Is that temperature good?
Btw i owned a old amd card before this one and didnt have "boost" clock. Can someone explain what that is? My gpu should boost to 1780 sometihng Mhz but it boosts to 1900? Why? And how does the overclock work when there is the boost thing?

Solution
My gpu should boost to 1780 sometihng Mhz but it boosts to 1900? Why

First of all, 78C is a normal TEMP value. Nothing to worry much about. Regarding the maximum boost clock, that's an NVIDIA feature, called GPU boost. The GPU will boost way beyond the advertised specs, so this is also a normal behavior.

Every application and game runs at a guaranteed, minimum Base Clock speed. If there’s extra power available, a Boost Clock is enabled increasing clock speeds until the graphics card hits its predetermined Power Target. This dynamic clock speed adjustment is controlled by GPU Boost, which monitors a raft of data and makes real-time changes to speeds and voltages several times per second, maximizing performance in each and...
My gpu should boost to 1780 sometihng Mhz but it boosts to 1900? Why

First of all, 78C is a normal TEMP value. Nothing to worry much about. Regarding the maximum boost clock, that's an NVIDIA feature, called GPU boost. The GPU will boost way beyond the advertised specs, so this is also a normal behavior.

Every application and game runs at a guaranteed, minimum Base Clock speed. If there’s extra power available, a Boost Clock is enabled increasing clock speeds until the graphics card hits its predetermined Power Target. This dynamic clock speed adjustment is controlled by GPU Boost, which monitors a raft of data and makes real-time changes to speeds and voltages several times per second, maximizing performance in each and every application.

Solution
I think overclocking/OC is a manual thing. The user does this, based on his experience. This is controlled by the end user, and if you OC any GPU you can reach the desired clock speeds you actually want.

GPU boost is an automatic feature, and requires no manual intervention.