[SOLVED] Overclocking and warranty

Andres9213

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
Hi. Quick question.

If i ever buy a used GPU that should still be covered by the manufacturer's warranty period, would they be able to tell if that card was ever overclocked or not, assuming it was set back to its decault settings before it failed, and thus invalidate it's warranty?

I want to buy a better GPU and i am not a fan of buying used stuff... But if i did, could this be a potential issue?

Solution
First, used cards don't have a manufacturer warranty because warranties on graphics cards are 99% not transferable to third parties. EVGA has some exceptions to this IF you purchase a qualified card from an AUTHORIZED reseller, but they are the only ones I am aware of AND you must have proof of purchase FROM a reseller of used graphics cards that is sanctioned BY EVGA.

Aside from that, the ONLY way to be eligible for a warranty on a used graphics card is IF the person you bought it from is either willing to handle any warranty concerns FOR you or provide you with ALL of the original purchase information including the purchase invoice and receipt.

Other than that, all bets are off an no manufacturer is going to warranty a used card...
First, used cards don't have a manufacturer warranty because warranties on graphics cards are 99% not transferable to third parties. EVGA has some exceptions to this IF you purchase a qualified card from an AUTHORIZED reseller, but they are the only ones I am aware of AND you must have proof of purchase FROM a reseller of used graphics cards that is sanctioned BY EVGA.

Aside from that, the ONLY way to be eligible for a warranty on a used graphics card is IF the person you bought it from is either willing to handle any warranty concerns FOR you or provide you with ALL of the original purchase information including the purchase invoice and receipt.

Other than that, all bets are off an no manufacturer is going to warranty a used card simply because it is still within the warranty period IF you are not the original purchaser.

Overclocking has nothing to do with it. Hardware manufacturers already know you are going to overclock. It's if you negligently or intentionally do something to damage the card WHILE overclocking, or anything else, that falls into the "might not work out the way you want" scenario. In general, I've never seen a warranty denied because somebody had overclocked their graphics card.

My advice is, you are MUCH better off buying a new card, specifically BECAUSE of warranty concerns and the fact that buying ANY kind of used hardware is a gamble, than you ever are buying used. The savings won't look much like savings if you end up having to take a complete loss on a card that is DOA or only lasts six months.

Solution