Overclocking Asus P5Q Series

gondo

Distinguished
I searched the net and many people are asking about the Asus P5Q series in general, if it is a good board, overclocking aside. Also many people asking about overclocking this popular series of board. So I am going to start a general P5Q thread with an emphasis on overclocking. I'd like to see people reply with overclocking suggestions, also other peoples experiences with this board.

As for the motherboard I've been an Abit fan for years until they slipped and put themselves out of business. Not from poor quality, but poor marketing, etc... So this time around I got an Asus P5Q Pro for a wicked deal. Under $140 Canadian. The P45 chipsets are solid value packed boards and the Crossfire speed is still very good considering the performance drop which is practically negligible compared to X48 boards. The Asus P5Q series can't be beat value wise and is a gem at overclocking. Very stable and fast. Highly recommended if you don't want to pay for a premium X48 board.

As for my overclock I've been out of the scene for a while. I used to be a big player in the overclocking scene back in the day with my dual Celeron 400 running at 500MHz with a custom built chilled water cooler. Now I am going to give it a shot again. Here are my results and I'd like to see comments, suggestions, and other peoples P5Q rigs and overclocking results. This is my first time overclocking this rig and my first time overclocking in over 8 years. Hopefully I will get some comments and suggestions from more experienced user and at the same time help other noobs with their P5Q series boards.

Rig:
Motherboard - Asus P5Q Pro
CPU - Intel E8400 9.0x multiplier 333MHZFSB 3.0GHZ
Memory - OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition DDR2-1066MHZ 5-5-5-15
Videocard - Diamond Radeon 4870 Overclocked Black Edition
Powersupply - Antec Neopower 650W
CPU Cooler - Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
OS - Vista 64bit

In windows all I have installed is Asus PC Probe II to monitor temperatures. I do not have AI suite or 6 engine installed which may interfere with BIOS overclocking.

Bios settings:

CPU Ratio is 9
FSB frequency is 444Mhz which gives me 3.99GHZ
DRAM frequency I set to 1067 which is the closest to 1066HZ I could get which is the approved limits of this memory.
FSB strap is auto.
DRAM timings are auto and remain at 5-5-5-15

Everything else is auto except the following:

Ai Clock twister is light.....I have no idea how this works but I read online to use lighter or light
Ai Transaction Booster is manual with Common PErformance level at 11.....again I read this online
CPU and PCIE spead spectrums disabled....again I read to do this online and the manual says disabled enhances overclocking ability

I kept all voltages at auto and had no need to increase them to improve stability. Everything runs fine at auto.

I ran Super PI and at stock 3GHZ and got approx. 15.7sec. At 3.6Ghz I got aprox. 13.7sec. Now at 444Mhz FSB 3.99Ghz CPU speed I get 11.934sec. This seems normal compared to other readings I saw on the net.

I then ran Orthos stress test on blend setting and have no errors or warnings after 2 hours.

CPU temp is 25'C idle and 42'c at full load during Orthos. This is using PC Probe II from Asus.

A note for possible worried first timers. When I first installed the Core Contact Freezer I was running at over 40'C but after several weeks the temps lowered to below 30'c idle. This is due to the compound heating up and settling in which is perfectly normal.

To the more experienced people out there. What exactly are AI Clock Twister and common performance level under Ai Transaction Booster? Also by leaving the voltages at auto what does the motherboard set the CPU, Memory, and Northbridge voltages too? Will the voltages remain the same at auto if the FSB speeds are altered? Am I better off entering exact voltages or should I leave it at auto if all is stable.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
It would be wise to use CPU-z ans see how much voltage that auto setting is giving you.

It is either giving you big volts or you got a E0 stepping CPU and it didnt need voltage.

Also the PC probe is famous for causing problems. I use Asus Exclusive, but I never use AI suite or PC probe, and I never mess with any of that AI stuff in the Bios. I change the FSB, the Vcore, Disable the things you did and speedstep stuff, lock PCI-E at 100.

All in all the P5Q series are GREAT boards!!!

If you do have a E0 stepping CPU, crank that FSB to 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4.5
I tried for a E0 last week but got C0 so I got it running 4.05 with loadtemps of 54c. If i turn my exhaust fan on high it drops 10c, but it sounds like a plane, so I leave it on low.

My 500G HDD is bottlenecking my new CPU so I am gonna buy some SSD drives this week and raid 0 them.

dreaminblue

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I upgraded my system last week with everything apart from the Asus P5W DH board but unfortunately the board just doesn't overclock like it used to and I had to run at stock. Having a completely watercooled m/b I was a bit reluctant to change because of all the work involved but I thought I'm just not seeing the improvement I want so let's upgrade to the Asus P5Q Pro. So I've had it a few days now and I'm not disappointed, it overclocks like a dream.

I've now got a Q9550@2.83 (C1 stepping) and I was aiming to run at at a nice 3.6. In my tests I went to around 4.05 with only changing the FSB, fixing RAM speed and voltage and left absolutely everything else on Auto ! I had to tweak like crazy on the P5W but this takes all the hassle out of overclocking. Of course that may take away some of the fun for some people who like to tweak away but personally I found this incredibly easy to use.

Over 4.05Ghz I was still stable with Prime95 and Crysis Warhead benchmarking but haven't done any heavy stress testing. However at this speed the CPU was around 1.37 which is pushing the upper limit and as I didn't see any FPS improvement in Crysis Warhead above 3.6GHz I've decided to stick with that. Don't know why the FPS wasn't increasing, I've also now got the 4870x2 which should be capable of more so maybe the 1066 ram was the limiting factor. Or maybe all those settings left on auto were effecting it as I did notice some strange results ... As the CPU went above 3.6 the highest FPS would increase but the lower FPS would decrease so the average stayed exactly the same !

My only niggle so far is that the m/b temp is very hot and Asus Probe gave me an alert as soon as I turned on the first time (on stock speed). I ended up watercooling the CPU, VRM and Northbridge which helped alot but m/b temp can still push into 50's ! I'm assuming the m/b sensor is nearer the gfx card and as you could fry an egg on the 4870x2 that would explain the high numbers. I also switched my watercooling temp sensor to the Nortbridge as that now runs hotter than the CPU and that helps the fans kick in earlier and keeps both in the high thirties (dipping into low forties) during load. (that's physical external waterblock temps, not digitally read m/b temps)

My new rig :
CPU Q9550@3.6 (425x8.5 FSB@1.34v)
RAM OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition DDR2-1066MHZ 5-5-5-15 (5:4 FSB = 1063@2.1v)
MB Asus P5Q Pro
GFX Sapphire 4870X2
PSU Tagan 1300W TG1300-BZ (for future expansions !)
CPU Cooler Koolance CPU-330 Water Block
VRM Cooler Koolance VR-AS40
P45 Cooler Koolance CHC-120
CASE Koolance PC3-724
KEYBOARD Logitech G15
MOUSE Logitext MX Revolution
MONITOR Samsung 22"2232BW

Overall, very happy with the P5Q Pro overclocking :)

anhnguyen

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Hi,

Sorry for the off-topic question but I'm thinking about getting the CCF for my Q6600 and Asus P5Q. I was wondering if you had any problem installing the CCF because I hear it's big. Also do you think it would fit most regular-sized Mid-tower case?

Thanks a bunch.

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Here are some BIOS settings on the Deluxe version (probably the same BIOS on all of them perhaps). This is on a E8500 (E0) at 4.51 ghz. One thing I noticed on my Deluxe BIOS is that the ram timings don't change to compensate for the higher bus speed when it is on auto.

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

E8500-451.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
CDJ: Sweet watercooling setup.

Is that a radiator at the top, a reservoir at the bottom and the pump above the hdd enclosure?
Do you pass your loop through the CPU first then through the GPU's or the other way around? (I'm guessing cpu first).
Do you think that if your case allowed a 2nd radiator mid-loop (ie. radiator ->cpu ->gpu1 ->radiator2 ->gpu2 or in between cpu and gpus) it would be worth the hassle and money to reduce the temps some more?
I'm asking because I'm planning a system with such a loop and similar components (a q9550 instead though).
Thanks for the info!

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006

Antiacid, thanks for the compliment. There are two radiators, 3x120 at the top and 1x120 at the bottom. The air is being pushed up...a 230mm fan in the front and side panel, three 120mm on the top radiator, one 120mm on the lower and a 140mm in the rear. The CPU has a pump/block combo attached and the reservior is a two bay acrylic container.

I've never really tested the path of the coolant, so I can't tell you how much of a difference it would make by changing the order of the parts. Mine goes from reservior>>CPU block/pump>>3x120 radiator>>graphics cards>>120 radiator>reservior.

The temps on the graphics card are about 36-37 idle and 43-45 load. This is all housed in a CoolerMaster HAF 932.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
nice!
From the picture, I thought perhaps there was 2 radiators but then I couldn't be sure :p
That sounds like a lot of fans (even though they are quite big). How's the noise level?
Also, while we're on a noise vs perf discussion, do you think that cooling a q9550 + one hd4870 (perhaps eventually two) with a 2x 120mm radiator and a 1x 120mm radiator would be enough? My goal would be to get a really silent overclock really ;)
I'm thinking of using that kind of setup in a TJ09-B box with a silent-ish PSU and a small directional fan to cool the ram/mosfets/nb.
Thoughts?

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
The unit is actually very quiet at the lowest fan speeds (where I normally keep it at). The larger fans spin very low, I think about 700 rpms. I have a fan control to adjust the radiator fans too, but it barely makes a difference, maybe a degree or two.

When I first set up my water cooling, it was for a Q6600 (B) and two Radeon 2900 Pro video cards. I had one 3x120 mm radiator in a Cosmos S case. It didn't have a problem cooling these parts, even with the overclocks. My video card temps drop from the 80c's to about 45c's while on load.

The 45nm Core 2s don't generate quite as much heat as the Q6600. They'll give up before the Q6600. Your two radiators would match my 3x120 so I don't see a problem, you can just add more (if you have room). Make sure you have a good pump and block too. I'm running mostly Swiftech parts.

The Asus P5Q is a pretty good motherboard, it allowed me to overclock a little more than my Gigabyte boards. It's made well and the layout is works well.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
ah thanks a whole lot! that's a relief to hear that :)

I'm also planning on using swiftech stuff after having had bad luck with a lesser known brand earlier this year (the pump died I guess...I didn't feel like disassembling it).

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

P5Q Pro lets you keep the stock speed at 1067MHz?
If you had DDR2-800 could you do that OC with P5Q Pro keeping RAM at 800MHz?
Thanks.

sithruz

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
hi guys!!!

can anyone help me how to overclock my q6600 using p5q-deluxe. using 4 sticks of 1GB corsair dominator ddr2-1066, corsair hx620, xigmatek s1283 dark knight. hope you can help me especially with the voltages as i don't plan to use auto with it. i'm planning to hit 400x9.

thanks

The Taz

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hi i am running a Q6600 cpu stable at 3.6 GHz,on a asua p5q motherboard with 2GB of ram,

Case --- Thermaltake Armor LCS VE2000BWS
PSU------Jeantech Storm 700w sli/cross-fire
Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT
Corsair XMS2 Dominator PC2-8600

here is a list of the setting i am using

Ai Overclock Tuner [manuall]
CPU Ratio Setting [09.0]
FSB Frequency [400]
PCIE Frequency [101]
FSB strap to north bridge [333] this is easiest to maintain stabiliy but can be left auto (if left at auto the DRAM Frequency would be 1066)

DRAM Frequency [961]
DRAM Timing Control [AUTO]

DRAM Static Read Control [AUTO]
DRAM Read Training [AUTO]
Mem. OC Charger [AUTO]
Ai Clock Twister [LIGHT]
Ai Transaction Booster [MANUALL}
Common Performance Level [11]

ALL PULL-IN SET TO AUTO

CPU Voltage [AUTO]
CPU GLT Reference [AUTO]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.54] Do NOT leave auto as that massively overvolts
FSB Termination Voltage [1.24] Do NOT leave auto as that massively overvolts
NB Voltage [1.26]
SB Voltage [1.10]
PCIE SATA Voltage [1.50]

Load Line Calibration [Enabled]
CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
CPU Clock Skew [AUTO]
NB Clock Skew [AUTO]
CPU Margin Enhancement [Performance Mode]

tested with OCCT and stable

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Don't go with Auto voltages. I have the ASUS P5Q-E and I overlcocked a Q6600 to 3ghz with everything stock except Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I increased my FSB to 1600mhz and I idle at 82 Fahrenheit.

kurtyboh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I have a question about a p5q oc, i've read that some mobo's allow you to choose whether or not to link the ram to the fsb speed of the processor, which seperates the fsb clocks from the ram clocks. does the p5q-e allow this?

kurt

mark yoe

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
i'm using asus p5q motherboard.. already built-in cooler master v8.. my processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E4500. it about 2.2Mhz.. I want oc until 3.0-3.2.. can i?

If can plz give suggestion on voltage.. bla2. tq

-mark yoe

martienne

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Mark Yoe, same thing here; I've got a P5Q Pro Turbo board and an old-ish E4500.

On my old motherboard (Abit IP35 Pro) I had the E4500 overclocked to 3.3 GHz but I can't quite remember how I did it.

Every time I switch motherboards I feel like a noob again. This is my third swap in 6 years.

parcou

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Any one here with an Asus P4Q Deluxe with a Q9550 processor....
My memory is
- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Below are someone else numbers...can someone fill in there numbers below with the same setup as I stated above????

===========================================
not my number just fill in over those below
===========================================

Ai Overclock Tuner [manuall]
CPU Ratio Setting [09.0]
FSB Frequency [400]
PCIE Frequency [101]
FSB strap to north bridge [333] this is easiest to maintain stabiliy but can be left auto (if left at auto the DRAM Frequency would be 1066)

DRAM Frequency [961]
DRAM Timing Control [AUTO]

DRAM Static Read Control [AUTO]
DRAM Read Training [AUTO]
Mem. OC Charger [AUTO]
Ai Clock Twister [LIGHT]
Ai Transaction Booster [MANUALL}
Common Performance Level [11]

ALL PULL-IN SET TO AUTO

CPU Voltage [AUTO]
CPU GLT Reference [AUTO]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.54] Do NOT leave auto as that massively overvolts
FSB Termination Voltage [1.24] Do NOT leave auto as that massively overvolts
NB Voltage [1.26]
SB Voltage [1.10]
PCIE SATA Voltage [1.50]

Load Line Calibration [Enabled]
CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
CPU Clock Skew [AUTO]
NB Clock Skew [AUTO]
CPU Margin Enhancement [Performance Mode]

G

Hello does anyone know for my pc any overlock
Asus p5qpro core 2duo E7500 2.93 GHZ
graphic cart Ati radeon Hd 4550 512 dd3 please i need this help thanks....

billyb_07

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
As someone who is returning to the overclocking club (after a decade away) I would like to get a little more out of my rig.

My system is listed below and I would like to get to 4.0-4.5 or thereabouts.

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
COOLMAX CU-700B 700W ATX 12V V2.2/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply
Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
(2) G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (8 gig total)
SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Anything I should know, or can someone recommend the Bios setting (AI overclock tuner)? I am a Noobie and may not understand everything about voltages and timings but I can find my way through the bios, etc. Hopefully someone with a similar system can provide the settings. Thanks

**UPDATE**
I tried the settings:

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
CPU Ratio Setting : 9
FSB Frequency : 445
PCIE Frequency: 105
FSB Strap to North Bridge : Auto
DRAM Frequency: Auto
DRAM Timing Control: Auto (adjust to your timings of your memory)
??? Can someone help with these settings? See RAM above.

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Dram Read Training : Auto
MEM OC Charger : Auto
Ai Clock Twister : Auto
Ai Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : (Set mine to 1.325 as I found this in another post)
CPU GTL Reference: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.50
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.30
DRAM Voltage : 2.1
NB Voltage : Auto
PCIE Sata Voltage: Auto

Load Line Calabration : Enabled
CPU Sread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
MB Clock Skew: Auto

Also don't know how to use Prime95 (error messages):
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
SUMOUT error occurred.
SUMOUT error occurred.

Where do I find the stress.txt file?

Computer boots, temp is fine (using RealTemp 26-29 deg). Runs Windows fine, but BSOD in CoDMW2.

Any settings I should tweak?

myztklkev

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
hi im a complete noob at overclocking, but i built this pc and i really want to get the best out of it, i have an Asus p5q se with a intel e8400 3ghz corsair ballistix DDr2 2gbx2 and an Asus Eah 4870x2 (radeon hd) if someones willing to give me some info and help me out you can pm me or just post in here.

billyb_07

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
I too am a noob, but I gathered my info from some posts and here is what I ended up with (for my P5Q):
Starting Settings that I used (note I bumped FSB Freq 5 at a time from here) (I am running E8500 with a 4850x2)

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
CPU Ratio Setting : 9.5
FSB Frequency : 400
PCIE Frequency: Auto or 100
FSB Strap to North Bridge : Auto
DRAM Frequency: Auto or setting that yields an overall memory frequency of 1066 or less

DRAM Timing Control:
CAS = 5
RAS to CAS = 5
RAS Precharge = 5
RAS Activate to Precharge = 15 (leave every other setting at auto)

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Dram Read Training : Auto
MEM OC Charger : Auto
Ai Clock Twister : Auto
Ai Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : (Set mine to 1.325 as I found this in another post)
CPU GTL Reference: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage : Auto
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
DRAM Voltage : 2.1
NB Voltage : 1.3v
PCIE Sata Voltage: Auto

Load Line Calabration : Disable for now
CPU Sread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
MB Clock Skew: Auto

I was able to bump the FSB Freq 5 at a time until I hit 430. After each bump I ran Prime95. Currently running at 4.08Mhz. Good luck.

stobbsie

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

hello i also have this board and a q9550 but i dont know where to chabge the fsb please help