Overclocking CPU Boost

Kordanor

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
I posted this question over at Linus Tech Tips a few days ago, but as there hasn't been any reply at all, I am trying it here now.

While there is a video where Linus Tech Tips explains CPU Boosts over here: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ryOzIZvpQ

there aren't really any tests or guides about it. Most stuff is just about overclocking in general.

But I am wondering what you would get if you only overclick a couple of cpus via boost.

So let's say you get safe 4,6 GHz, but on 4,7 GHz the PC crashes. Now 4,6 GHz (or something in between) would be your max. However - what happens when you keep the CPU clock at a lower rate, let's say 4 GHz, but set the Boost for 2 CPUs up to 5 GHz?
Not sure about how to test it, especially it's stability. You probably would need a benchmark which could stress cores individually (haven't done any cpu benchmarking myself due to the lack of a proper rig). But I guess for games also something like this would be more efficient than having all cores on constant 4,6 GHz.

Also it would be interesting to see how processors with a different core count make differences. I mean can you achieve a higher boost on a 6 core cpu than on a 4 core cpu? How is hyperthreading affected by the boost?

Would be cool if someone has a couple of answers or if there is even a video about it.

Solution

I have not seen that before, thx for informing me on something new, it appears you are correct and you can set the individual core boost, ill have to go play in my bios this afternoon for sure :D

_JakeDavies

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
CPU boost usually will only boost up to what the CPU is capable of, even if you set the boost for 5GHz you may only boost to 4.6GHz due to the stability of the CPU. Honestly I would overclock them to 4.6GHz and have them all run smoothly because 4.6GHz is almost overkill for gaming anyway!

SheerTheSheep

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Firstly, you cant set the boost of individual cores, you can only set of all active cores, secondly, within a margin, you can normally get a *higher overclock if you disable for instance 5 of the 6 cores as only one cores heat is being generated ect. ect. Thus you will not be able to get higher boost on a 6 core vs 4 core of the same generation, binning and what gen of processor also vastly affects the amount of boost a processor can get.

Kordanor

Reputable
Sep 26, 2015
I took this pic out of a video from Pauls Hardware Youtube video:
boost0on765vx2a.png

But doesn't it show how you can set the individual boost for CPUs dependent on how many are stressed?
Or is this for something completely different?

SheerTheSheep

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

I have not seen that before, thx for informing me on something new, it appears you are correct and you can set the individual core boost, ill have to go play in my bios this afternoon for sure :D

Solution