[SOLVED] Overclocking CPU & RAM safely with X470 Pro

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Hey guys!

My signature specs are up to date, please lead me through on how to safely overclock my CPU & RAM without the need to do stability testing... So in other words a overclock that isnt pushing it to its limits, but is better than the stock. I am using stock cooler for the Ryzen cpu.

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
So let me ask you this, with this motherboard could I just tell bios to do 4.0 instead of 3.7 and leave everything else on auto and it would correct necessary voltage for me? Or am I better of lf using AISuite 3?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Your CPU will automatically boost up to 4.2 GHz, depending on how many cores are in use. Manually setting the frequency to 4 GHz would likely reduce performance.

Check out Tomshardware's review of the 2600X, see how little performance difference there is between a stock 2600X and one overclocked to 4.2 GHz on all cores:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600x,5579-9.html

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hey guys!

My signature specs are up to date, please lead me through on how to safely overclock my CPU & RAM without the need to do stability testing... So in other words a overclock that isnt pushing it to its limits, but is better than the stock. I am using stock cooler for the Ryzen cpu.

Just to back up what TJ Hooker is saying, there is no "easy" button for overclocking which is what you're looking for. The easy button is, as he says letting the CPU's Turbo and XFR work, and they do work well.

If you're not willing to put in the time and work to stability testing, flipping settings in your BIOS is a path to destruction.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I switched my Ai overclock tuner back to default auto from ODCP, to be safe then. But I told memory frequency to target 3000mhz. That way I will let the computer decide, rather me messing with it and keeping it at a constant clock or what not...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I switched my Ai overclock tuner back to default auto from ODCP, to be safe then. But I told memory frequency to target 3000mhz. That way I will let the computer decide, rather me messing with it and keeping it at a constant clock or what not...

I skipped DOCP on my system, but you can't just set the frequency to 3000mhz and expect it to work stable. This is very simple to fix. You need to know the timings of your ram, and you need to go into the memory settings and manually put them in. My ram has been like this since day 1 with my Ryzen system and works fine, I did it this way because XFR doesn't work with DOCP on.

Again, there is no easy button.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm not sure what's all part of the "AI overclock tuner", but I would leave DOCP enabled.

On an Asus Motherboard leaving "Ai Overclock" to Auto in the BIOS allows XFR to run. DOCP is like turning on XMP on an intel motherboard, except then XFR doesn't work and you need to manually overclock. Its a lame setup.

Yeah... I'm getting blue screen now. As soon as windows boots. I switched back to DOCP. Same thing. I have a feeling that darn Aisuite 3 installation did this.

It did not. Setting your ram frequency to 3000mhz without setting the timings properly did it. Follow my instructions above.

AIsuite and pretty much all bundled motherboard utilities that are not required driver related installations, are universally worthless IMO, and tend to cause more problems than they solve. In practically every case, aside from the use of Ryzen master for monitoring, you are much more likely to find something that does what you want, and does it better, using 3rd party utilities like HWinfo, Core Temp or other function specific applets/utilities.

I never, ever install any of the "suites" offered by the motherboard manufacturers. I've never once found any benefit to using them.

As for the premise that you can overclock ANYTHING, CPU, memory or graphics card, without doing stability testing (And setting memory to the XMP profile should NOT realistically be considered "overclocking", even though technically most XMP speeds are listed as "OC" in the motherboard specs) or else you're looking to have problems and corrupt data, ESPECIALLY when it comes to memory, but also when overclocking the CPU or graphics card because they are both used for compute purposes to one degree or another.

Corruption due to instability, which is often NOT obvious and not accompanied by blue screens or freezing or any other clear indicators, is no joke, and will cause you to have a very bad year if you fail to do the testing required to ensure that anything that ventures outside the realm of the stock behavior is in fact stable for daily operation.

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
-----, please help guys I reverted everything back to normal that I changed and still got the damn blue screen, I really do think it was that damn Aisuite 3 because it installed a bunch of stuff and made my screen flicker and did some new USB drivers etc... and it wasnt until after that, that this all happened. What can I do? I turned off all overclock even though that was stable until I installed Aisuite 3 because a YouTube video told me it was the easiest way to do all this and safest, obviously that was the wrong thing for me to do. How can I revert that????

Last edited by a moderator:
(Put it all back in the box and send it back to the manufacturer with a note saying I'm not smart enough to own this. Ok, I couldn't resist using that oldie but goodie here, and I'm just kidding. Moving on.)

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
-----, please help guys I reverted everything back to normal that I changed and still got the damn blue screen, I really do think it was that damn Aisuite 3 because it installed a bunch of stuff and made my screen flicker and did some new USB drivers etc... and it wasnt until after that, that this all happened. What can I do? I turned off all overclock even though that was stable until I installed Aisuite 3 because a YouTube video told me it was the easiest way to do all this and safest, obviously that was the wrong thing for me to do. How can I revert that????

Again, Aisuite didn't do this. You needed the drivers and stuff. AiSuite doesn't do anything unless you go in and change settings in it. However just setting your ram to 3000mhz you may have corrupted your Windows installation which is exactly what happens when you just go change memory settings improperly.

Follow what Darkbreeze said above. Get your system booted and running, if you reset the CMOS and the system won't boot and is giving the same error, you probably corrupted your windows install.