Question Overclocking Damage

Brandon_140

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2016
Okay so awhile ago i bought a Ryzen 7 1700 and i was told that it was a nice CPU to overclock so immediately jumpped into overlocking my cpu follow guides online and i think i may have damage my cpu because for example apps like blue stacks and nox where a VM is necessary used to work perfect and afterwards i found these programs no longer functioned properly. I just ignored it because i can still game well but i am concerned and would like to know if there is any way to check and see if it is actually damaged or if i managed to damage my graphics card in the process. I attempted this on my current build which is a Ryzen 7 1700 with a wraith cooler, 16 gb cosair vengance rgb 3200mhz, Thermaltake TR2 700W, MSI X370 SLI PLUS, and Powercolor RX480 4GB Graphics card. I did not try and overclock it too much i tried a pretty common overclocking configuration that i found on YouTube and other forum's and one guy almost had the exact same build but i'm still worried! Any help would be appreciated! ~Thanks!

OC'ing isn't necessarily going to kill any of your hardware, unless you do something really silly.

I guess the obvious thing is to take the OC off and ensure your system functions as it should. If you find that Bluestacks works as you would expect, you know it's a bad OC, or at least one that's not stable.

What have you done to test your OC for stability. When it's poor OC you can get all sort of random crashes and peculiar issues.

Okay so awhile ago i bought a Ryzen 7 1700 and i was told that it was a nice CPU to overclock so immediately jumpped into overlocking my cpu follow guides online and i think i may have damage my cpu because for example apps like blue stacks and nox where a VM is necessary used to work perfect and afterwards i found these programs no longer functioned properly. I just ignored it because i can still game well but i am concerned and would like to know if there is any way to check and see if it is actually damaged or if i managed to damage my graphics card in the process. I attempted this on my current build which is a Ryzen 7 1700 with a wraith cooler, 16 gb cosair vengance rgb 3200mhz, Thermaltake TR2 700W, MSI X370 SLI PLUS, and Powercolor RX480 4GB Graphics card. I did not try and overclock it too much i tried a pretty common overclocking configuration that i found on YouTube and other forum's and one guy almost had the exact same build but i'm still worried! Any help would be appreciated! ~Thanks!

What frequency are you overclocking to? and at what voltage settings? If you're still on a Wraith cooler then you'd be locking or thermal throttling if pushed too far. Most likely, you just have a bad OC configuration.

You might be surprised how hard it is to damage these CPU's with overclocking even at high voltage settings. Systems usually lock up before it does damage. I've read of people running them at 4.1Ghz and 1.5 volts for various tasks...for weeks at a time with some serious custom loop cooling.