Question Overclocking DDR4 Ram causes system not to boot

Jan 23, 2020
Hi,

I am fairly new at this, so I would appreciate it if someone could point out what I am doing wrong here.

I bought some cheap ram from new amazon/corsair, which claims it is samsung b-die.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0134EW44S it is CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 Corsair 32GB dual ranked 2666Mhz ram.

I am getting the proper speeds when I enable XMP in my bios, and that works fine.
However, when I went to tighten my timings, according to the 1usmus DRAM calculator, my system does not boot up.

Here are the steps I took to cause the issue:

• Boot into Bios, XMP is enabled and system runs fine at 2666Mhz
  • Adust the memory timings for all the values I can see based on DRAM calculator for Ryzen (using SAFE settings)
  • Adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.32, based on DRAM calculator (using SAFE settings)
  • set the fclk frequency to 2666/2 -> 1333 instead of auto
  • Save and reboot
The computer refuses to boot up, after waiting 90s. I then power it off, and clear my CMOS with the JBAT1 jumber.
My system is back to normal, and I can re-enable XMP, after that.

Specs:

Corsair LPX CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 32Gb (2x16 @ 2666Mhz)
Ryzen 7 3800X + stock Wraith Prism
MSI x570-A PRO motherboard
Gigabyte rx 570 graphics
850W PSU

So my question is, what am I doing wrong, and how can I tighten my ram timing (or increase my ram frequency)

More info on RAM specs

Last edited:

cin19

Titan
So my question is, what am I doing wrong, and how can I tighten my ram timing (or increase my ram frequency)
Read more about the RAM oc guide from online, then try again.
I added two of them, you should try to find more.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts